Thread: Anti-clastic raising

Default Anti-clastic raising

Hi
    I wondered if someone could help me. I am trying to make an anti clastic piece and I have annealed, folded and cut thin copper sheet 1" x 3" into an semi circle shape and started forging it. I have hammered the cut side and got a twisted leaf shape but what happens if I hammer on the folded straight side as I really want to make a pod type piece. When I started hammering the folded side it doesn't seem to curve and I wondered if I was doing something wrong.
    Jane

Hi Jane - I don't suppose you can post any pictures, can you? I'm feeling a bit frazzled and can't visualise what you mean right now.

I wonder if you're actually trying to do some fold forming? There are some excellent videos around on this, as well as the excellent book - http://www.wellheadbooks.com/acatalo...work.html#a688 (third one down)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anti clastic raising 011.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	3392Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anti clastic raising 012.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	3393

Here are a couple of images of test pieces. It is really fold forming. I was trying to follow a you tube clip by Mark Nelson from Rio Grande and I think he was hammering the fold as when he opens it up he does this on the inside.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUlCNoNAqsI

I have the Charles Lewton Brain cd but it is not really clear on where to hammer and size and thickness of metal. Does anyone know if the book is better?

I would be really grateful for any help.
    Jane

I can't compare as I don't have the cd. I thought the book was very good though.

Hammering the folded edge should give a peapod shape, but it may take a few cycles of hammering/annealing. I wouldn't start with a semi-circle (folded circle) though, but a long rectangle with rounded off ends - your picture does look like the right shape to start with..

This is one that I did a while back: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CuPeaPod.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	3394
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

Yes this is what I am aiming for. I was impatient and doing it in silver so I went back to copper for some test pieces. I have done a few before but it is the usual story I didn't write down exactly what I did.