Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Putting children's doodles onto jewellery/keyrings

Default Putting children's doodles onto jewellery/keyrings

Wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction, please? I'm looking at ways of transferring children's doodles onto keyrings and pendants. I went down the route of silver clay (fingerprints etc) but I didn't enjoy doing that and it's very, very expensive. What I want to do is take a doodle, shrink it in size and put that exact doodle (with colour etc) onto a keyring or pendant blank. I've seen some on the internet and they seem to have a clear plastic coating over them. Does anyone know what this coating is? Can anyone point me in the right direction for instructions on how to do this process?

Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyDaisy View Post
    Wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction, please? I'm looking at ways of transferring children's doodles onto keyrings and pendants. I went down the route of silver clay (fingerprints etc) but I didn't enjoy doing that and it's very, very expensive. What I want to do is take a doodle, shrink it in size and put that exact doodle (with colour etc) onto a keyring or pendant blank. I've seen some on the internet and they seem to have a clear plastic coating over them. Does anyone know what this coating is? Can anyone point me in the right direction for instructions on how to do this process?

Many thanks!
    You could probably do it by etching.

You can put them into bezel cups and seal with resin. You'd need to scan and print (ideally laser to avoid any issues of waterfastness). There are a lot sold on etsy etc which have just been sealed with Diamond Glaze or similar, and these don't last well at all. If you want to keep just the line work, you could use a waterslide decal and then seal that.

Thanks for the replies, although I'm not entirely sure what you mean by etching.

I know the likes of Cooksons sell pendant blanks so I'm guessing they could be used. Would you know if you need a special type of paper is needed to print them onto? A friend of mine who does a similar thing with some of her artwork uses epoxy resin squares/circles to seal her pics onto bottle caps.....would they be ok to use for what I'm wanting to do. Sorry for all the questions but I'm very grateful for any further help and advice. Thanks.

In all honesty DaisyDaisy, this is probably not the right forum for this sort of question - as it's mainly metalsmiths and studio jewellers. You might want to try having a look here http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/ where there are a number of threads on this, and similar subjects.

Hope that helps

So sorry to have intruded on what I took to be a Jewellery Making Forum.

Don't be daft. It *is* a jewellery making forum, but if we've no-one around doing what you want to tackle, then we can't help much. About the only suggestion I'd have for sealing the things is some of the water-clear resins, but - and here's the kicker - I've never used them, so it's just a starting point for your research. Ultimately, I think this is something that will require a certain amount of experimentation - or standing on the shoulders of someone who has done it before. You'll need to make sure your resins are safe to use, UV stable, the image you use is sufficiently lightfast; all those sorts of things.

If you wanted to know about etching metal, then we've got a fair few people who can assist; there, you dissolve the metal away either chemically or electrochemically. Or you could hand engrave the doodles, although that requires a skillset that takes some time to learn. Or chase them. Or paint enamels (by which I mean real enamels, not epoxy). Or have them machined by a scanner/CNC router (or use a pantograph engraving machine)... There's a whole load of different ways that it could be achieved in metal with which we could help; plastics, not so much

DaisyDaisy, I think this is a brilliant idea! I'm sure that there are folk who read (and hope contribute to) this forum, who can help you develop this idea into something you want to take forward. Don't be put off by any negativity, afterall this is a Cookson's forum and they do sell resins etc so would expect that there are people who have tried their products and can give some feedback to their useage. I for one would be very interested in seeing your results! Go for it!

The original question asked:

"Can anyone point me in the right direction for instructions on how to do this process?"

Having answered pretty fully, I then did just that. The fact that it's not here, but is on another forum, one more frequented by crafters making the kind of thing referred to, was IMO pretty helpful, and certainly very far from negative.

Unfortunately, as Peter says, there aren't always shortcuts to getting the results you're after. There's a lot of trial and error involved, and ultimately finding a system that works for you. If you want to work with resins (sometimes referred to as cold enamels), I can thoroughly recommend taking a class with Clare John www.cjresins.co.uk who uses the same system sold by Cookson.

Thank you so much for clarifying things George. Daisy's response would indicate that she felt some negativitiy to her query, so sorry that you didn't like my response. I for one think that its a shame that Cooksons doesn't encourage queries etc that relate to the products they sell and that the forum encourages folk to look elsewhere. Just saying...