Thread: Putting children's doodles onto jewellery/keyrings

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Putting children's doodles onto jewellery/keyrings

Wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction, please? I'm looking at ways of transferring children's doodles onto keyrings and pendants. I went down the route of silver clay (fingerprints etc) but I didn't enjoy doing that and it's very, very expensive. What I want to do is take a doodle, shrink it in size and put that exact doodle (with colour etc) onto a keyring or pendant blank. I've seen some on the internet and they seem to have a clear plastic coating over them. Does anyone know what this coating is? Can anyone point me in the right direction for instructions on how to do this process?

Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyDaisy View Post
    Wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction, please? I'm looking at ways of transferring children's doodles onto keyrings and pendants. I went down the route of silver clay (fingerprints etc) but I didn't enjoy doing that and it's very, very expensive. What I want to do is take a doodle, shrink it in size and put that exact doodle (with colour etc) onto a keyring or pendant blank. I've seen some on the internet and they seem to have a clear plastic coating over them. Does anyone know what this coating is? Can anyone point me in the right direction for instructions on how to do this process?

Many thanks!
    You could probably do it by etching.

You can put them into bezel cups and seal with resin. You'd need to scan and print (ideally laser to avoid any issues of waterfastness). There are a lot sold on etsy etc which have just been sealed with Diamond Glaze or similar, and these don't last well at all. If you want to keep just the line work, you could use a waterslide decal and then seal that.

Thanks for the replies, although I'm not entirely sure what you mean by etching.

I know the likes of Cooksons sell pendant blanks so I'm guessing they could be used. Would you know if you need a special type of paper is needed to print them onto? A friend of mine who does a similar thing with some of her artwork uses epoxy resin squares/circles to seal her pics onto bottle caps.....would they be ok to use for what I'm wanting to do. Sorry for all the questions but I'm very grateful for any further help and advice. Thanks.

In all honesty DaisyDaisy, this is probably not the right forum for this sort of question - as it's mainly metalsmiths and studio jewellers. You might want to try having a look here http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/ where there are a number of threads on this, and similar subjects.

Hope that helps

So sorry to have intruded on what I took to be a Jewellery Making Forum.