Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stone Setting

Default Stone Setting

Hi,

I'm looking to do a course on stone-setting - has anyone got any recommendations especially in the South-west?

Thank you!

Not sure where you are, but Mid Cornwall School of Jewellery might be the obvious place to start.

Mid Cornwall is a great school and most of the tutors are good but ............

Oh, was it the stone setting course that wasn't great? I know there's one that gets consistently less good reviews than the others.

It's a particular tutor who I and others I've spoken with had a bad experience with. Everyone else is great though and Lisa Cain is lovely.

I've contacted the Mid-Cornwall School of Jewellery and they only run one stone-setting course a year and it is fully booked for this year!

I'm thinking at looking in the London direction as there seems to be a few more places.

If you don't mind travelling, then I'd look at the Birmingham School of Jewellery. Not too hard to get to from the SW either.

Victoria Sewart has a shop in the Barbican, here in Plymouth, full of interesting jewellery and I know that she runs jewellery making courses. I imagine that stone setting is a part of that but I am not sure how it is organised.

She has a new website

Victoria Sewart Contemporary Jewellery Gallery Plymouth Devon - Home

and I am sure she wouuld be happy to answer any questions.

Nick.

Its not a course, but I would highly recocmmend both of Blaine Lewis' DVD's on stone setting - they are unbelieveable and they come with practice rings and stones for you to practice what is demonstrated. The actual filming is the best I have seen so far in jewelry DVD's - it i so close up you can see every detail!

New Approach School for Jewelers: School Video Tour

If you want to order the dvd's I suggest you give the school a call (001) 800.529.4763 they get a lot of emails from time wasters so if you're serious, best to call for a quick response.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
    Its not a course, but I would highly recocmmend both of Blaine Lewis' DVD's on stone setting - they are unbelieveable and they come with practice rings and stones for you to practice what is demonstrated. The actual filming is the best I have seen so far in jewelry DVD's - it i so close up you can see every detail!

New Approach School for Jewelers: School Video Tour

If you want to order the dvd's I suggest you give the school a call (001) 800.529.4763 they get a lot of emails from time wasters so if you're serious, best to call for a quick response.
    Only problem with this is the fact that it is rather higher ($179) than the £18 allowed before the Post Office and everyone else starts adding on their appropriate charges. (Not to mention the shipping costs too!)
    You are so lucky in the US to be able to get the resources that you can! - Am I jealous? You betcha I am!!