Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metal Colors for Gem Stones

Default Metal Colors for Gem Stones

I wounder if any of you consider the color of your metal when setting a gemstone, and if so what colors do you prefer for what stone types?

An example i find very attractive is green stones against yellow gold. For example James "Goldsmith" has used this color combination for his paper knife, al be it enamel rather that stone; http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/alb...achmentid=2278

what would you set with red gold, or white gold?

Julian

Hi Julian,
    The idea of choosing a metal to complement a stone is novel to me, as I mostly use silver full stop. However I think blue is the most striking with silver and also 9ct white, particularly lapiz and Swiss or London blue topaz.

I find 18ct white quite ugly, but I guess diamonds , even uncut diamonds would fascinate some.

I will add yellow gold, because I think rubies will look irresistible with it and for red gold , something green such as peridot or green garnet.

I hope you get some interesting replies, Regards, Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 20-04-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    I wounder if any of you consider the color of your metal when setting a gemstone, and if so what colors do you prefer for what stone types?

An example i find very attractive is green stones against yellow gold. For example James "Goldsmith" has used this color combination for his paper knife, al be it enamel rather that stone; http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/alb...achmentid=2278

what would you set with red gold, or white gold?

Julian

I do that. Cool coloured gems look better in white coloured metals and warm coloured ones in yellow or rose gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I find 18ct white quite ugly.

I must say palladium white gold (which I buy from USA) much nicer than Cookie's white gold, which I find looks dirty and too gray. I also cannot see the point of rhodium plating. If someone is buying a piece of white gold jewellery, surely they want to see the colour of white gold, not rhodium.

Quote Originally Posted by lilia View Post
    I must say palladium white gold (which I buy from USA) much nicer than Cookie's white gold, which I find looks dirty and too gray. I also cannot see the point of rhodium plating. If someone is buying a piece of white gold jewellery, surely they want to see the colour of white gold, not rhodium.
    Unless they really wanted platinum but couldn't afford it...

I'm not too keen on the idea of plating, but I'm even less keen on the way yellow metals look against my skin! Funny story: when we were engagement-ring-shopping, one sales clerk clearly thought I was being difficult and unreasonable by insisting I wanted white gold, not yellow...until I tried on a platinum ring and she suddenly said, in tones of great shock, "Oh! That *does* look good on you!".

H and for red gold , something green such as peridot or green garnet.

Regards, Dennis.
    A very interesting thought. I found the on google images which ilistrates the concept http://www.zoccai.com/us/earrings/ZGOR0892/RRPRMD/ I also found Red gold and topaz which is also interesting http://www.zoccai.com/us/earrings/ZGOR0893/RRMBL/

Quote Originally Posted by eirish View Post
    I tried on a platinum ring and she suddenly said, in tones of great shock, "Oh! That *does* look good on you!".
    You're a high maintenance lady then.

On a cheaper note, copper and green stones look fabulous together :-)

Melanie

http://www.spinysharklythings.com

You're a high maintenance lady then.
    That's what I want to be when I grow up.

Possibly a slightly odd combination, but I really like yellow gold with london blue topaz and smokey quartz together.