Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Micropave

Default Micropave

I think I'm going quietly mad. Using the new micromotor to cut seats for 1mm stones so that they are girdle-to-girdle; I think I've got the layout OK, but the bead raising is beginning to frustrate me. All of the setting is precut before I put the stones in, so all the excess material is removed and the bright cutting done, then the part-formed beads are pushed over the stone to hold them. So far, I've done 3 in a row - where the bead is split across 2 stones by wedging a flat graver in; now I'm working on a triangle - but how to split a bead in 3 is puzzling me. None of the round gravers I have are small enough (even sharpening a burr to make a round graver is too big), so I wonder if I should use an onglette to split the metal...

I've got 100 of these stones, and I'm not doing anything other than practice until they're used up!

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I've got 100 of these stones, and I'm not doing anything other than practice until they're used up!
    There's no answer to that Peter, except 'don't sneeze'.

Glitter and glue Peter, save you a whole heap of trouble and time :0)

It's desperately fiddly work, which is probably what my driver is to do this. Whether I want to then use it in pieces I make, I'm less sure. But it could be a handy skill for the arsenal.

I'm getting much more picky about the polish on my graver for bright cutting, too - currently using 8/0 polishing paper with pencil scribbled over it; with that on a bench block it gives a moderately good finish (but I can see I might want to go finer). Looking for perfection under the microscope is a bit silly in some ways, as hardly anyone else will see it - but I know where the flaws are!

Ah, the microscope is what I envy, if only to beat the camera lens. Dennis.

I don't think there's any way I could tackle this without the scope.

How're these for setting examples - http://www.jurasettersschool.com/photo-gallery.html ? Again, not sure I'm keen on the style of some of it, but the workmanship is wonderful. I need to set some time aside this weekend to carry on practising.

Peter

The dream!

I have been watching you progress in you other posts, I have to do a course. My problem trying to find sone copper, wher did you get yours?

Julian

Julian, have you looked on eBay? I get sheet copper and brass from ABS Metals in Falmouth mostly and sometimes from a seller in Ringwood too. ABS will cut to size too.

Melanie

http://www.spinysharklythings.com

Ah, that would be Ringwood Precision Engineering I presume? I've used them quite a bit, although mostly for ferrous rather than non-ferrous. At the moment I'm using some copper water pipe that I've annealed, split and flattened (rough flatten with a hide mallet on the anvil, then finished with a light pass through the rolling mill.

The other place I've bought copper sheet from is Chronos.

As for finding a course - in Amsterdam? I would have thought there were a few options I *think* Daniel Houwer does some teaching, Jura is out at Utrecht...

I found this firm does it too. http://www.cooksongold.com/category_...y=Copper+sheet. That's a fiver you owe me Cookies.