Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Solder paste

They're completely flat on the end - I'd be going some to manage to do some damage!

OK, I'm reassured. they are added to my expanding list of stuff to get come payday.

Sorry if this is a trivial question... I used solder paste for the first time yesterday on a chain. It took a medium amount of pressure to get the solder out of the needle tip, but then I could not stop it until there was far too much for my needs. I used a pick to scoop up tiny amounts as necessary from the pile but there was still some waste. Is there a better way to control how much comes out at a time?
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

Yes, just withdraw the plunger a little and the paste goes back in.

Don't worry, I was surprised by this too. For many years I tried paste solder from the main suppliers and found it stiff and crumbly, and barely syringeable.

Recently on browsing the forum, I went to Palmer Metals, prompted by George, and for the first time the paste actually flowed. Not only that, but the excess paste squeezed onto my palette remained soft and useable for more than a week.

Strangely the tubes I bought had no indication of whether they contained hard or easy solder, and the code numbers did not refer in any way to their online description. When I phoned them about this the person had to go away to ask, and then told me what for in a pert voice as if I was being particularly stupid.

Although I used a little extra flux with it, I must say that other than for thin wires, I still prefer pallions for a clean an predictable result. Old dog, old tricks. Dennis.

Thank you Dennis. That's very helpful. I had some awkward tight spots where the paste was useful - tiny rings joining a roundel to a bracelet - but will stick to pallions for most other work. I'll remember your other tip as well for when/if I need to buy any more.

Thanks,

LN.
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

I agree with Dennis, give me pallions of solder anytime, old dog and old tricks applies to me also, if it ain't broke why fix it I say!!! strip solder never goes off, does not have a shelf life, can be hammered thin and cut into any size or shape you may want. I am also a lifetime user of a Borax cone in a borax tray as my flux. All of the work shown on my members album was soldered this way.
    James

I've gone RIGHT off bl**dy paste. No matter how gently I heat it, I'm ending up with a charred mess and a brittle join. Does this mean it's gone off? I've been beginning to feel that my soldering abilities have evaporated and it's becoming seriously frustrating. Any ideas? I have been using borax to flux the joint as well...

If you're using paste you don't need separate flux. However, it sounds like you're either just burning the solder - never heat it directly until it's starting to flow - just heat the metal - no different to soldering conventionally, or simply not getting hot enough. Paste still needs very hot metal before it will flow. I happily use both, but have to admit to loving the convenience of paste - especially for smaller pieces.