Thread: Is it possible to solder a jump ring to a geode that I have gilded with silver leaf?

Default Is it possible to solder a jump ring to a geode that I have gilded with silver leaf?

Hello! I'm a first timer and I'm excited to finally be posting a question of my own!

I have been puzzling over this for months. I got some geode stones and want a metal or silver surround on them which shows the natural shape of the stone. I would like to attach jump rings to the metal so I can incorporate them into jewellery. After researching on the internet (after trying pmc paste and shattering a stone!) I bought gold size and silver leaf, got a couple of layers on then covered the stone in heat retardent paste to try and solder a jump ring on. The stone was safe but the solder did not flow. I really didn't want to use glue but pretty much already have when you think about it as I glued the silver leaf onto the stone already!

It's a conundrum as I bought (years ago in Lima), a pendant geode which looks like it has been gilded and it has a jump ring attached. I attach pics of both the Lima pendant and my own attempt.....

Any thoughts or advice on this would be greatly appreciated
    Eims
    Dublin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 003.jpg   002.jpg  

Hi Eims
    Yes it's possible (though not via gilding with silver leaf) here's a thread covering it...
    http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/nee...dant-like.html
    Nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Nic, I don't think that was the question.

Eims, I'm not convinced it can be done without a laser or spot welding setup, though I'm by no means an expert on this type of thing. The option might be to incorporate a wired jump ring before the gilding process? That's just thinking out loud though!

Do you think that could be copper foiled and then low melt solder with soldering iron applied? That is what it reminds me of. I used to make little picture charms with microscope slide glass- copper foil the edges then use decorative solder on the copper foil. I would then solder jump rings (with plumbers solder and an iron) to the ends.

Hi Nic

Thank you so much for the link - now I've more to read up on!

I mean to say, thanks to each of you! x x x
    There is so much for a newbie like me to learn for sure - I have loads of extra options to research now!

Eims x

the only other thing that immediately springs to mind is to make a copy of the stone using moulding compound and investment powder. You can then use the replica to build your pmc surround around, fire it all together and then the investment replica will soak away leaving you with the pmc silver and a stone sized hole.

will no doubt be thinking about this all night though!!

I'm in foreign territory here, but can't you just make a bezel?

Hi Dennis,

I wanted to have a really fine coat of metal on the outside so as to see the form of the stone - It's great now as the forum has given me so many options to consider. I don't have the skill most of them yet, but I think the electroforming (from the thread posted by Nic - I can't put in the URL to the site until I've posted 5 times or more but it was called Best Crystals) gives the result most like the pendant I had bought before.

So now I need to find someone to maybe do this for me!

Eims

You might be interested in this site: Jewelers

note the butterfly on the right which appears to have the same kind of edge you are after.