Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: liquid liver of sulphur - do i dilute?

Default liquid liver of sulphur - do i dilute?

Hey all

I bougth some liver of suplhur from CG - in liquid form - after reading the data sheet that came with it, I'm not sure I want to open the bottle as it's totally toxic and corrosive! I did a few searches online and everything I found on how to use liver of sulphur referred to the solid version - I wish I'd done some googling before I bought the liquid stuff now as the solid stuff would last so much longer.

Anyway I have it now, so I might as well use it - but how?
    Do I dilute it? What kind of container should I use?

Any tips and advice would be much appreciated as I want to oxidise a load of my sea glass pendant claws before I put the glass into them and finish them off.

I presume you dip them without the stones/glass or whatever are set into the piece?

I look forward to hearing your advice.

Thanks

E
    Find Milomade online - follow the links below....
    Website | Instagram

I dilute it in warm water in a plastic container, which I throw away after use. I don't use the liquid any more at all, I prefer the gel, which has a much better shelf life and is easier to use though. Actually, I tend to use platinol instead, but that's even more toxic! Keep any remaining liquid in it's bottle, wrapped in brown paper (or a brown envelope), which helps it last longer.

You can leave stones in as long as they're not porous or etched - so probably not a good idea with sea glass - it's sometimes easier to do so as the setting can polish off the oxidisation otherwise.

what's the dilution ratio of l.o.s to water?
    Website | Instagram

Default Los.

I have an old ice cream tub (the 2 litre kind) that I just cover the bottom of with warm water - I'd say about a quarter full, then add around 10 drops of LOS to that. Not a terribly scientific measurement, but it works for me.

But - I also heat my pieces of silver with a hairdryer first before chucking them in the LOS. Not sure where I read that (on a blog somewhere!) but it definitely makes it blacken faster!

HTH.

I don't use LOS any more either but I mixed it up with very hot water in a small glass dish. I never bothered to measure it but a few drops are enough. I also heated the piece up in boiling water before putting it in. Oh and open the window as it stinks!

Yep, I also go for the scientific measurement system - just bung a few drops in until the water's pale amber Hot water, and hot metal going in. You can stop the effect by rinsing in cold water immediately. If it's a porous piece (eg metal clay) it's best to neutralise with bicarbonate of soda to be sure there's none left in the metal.

thanks for all the tips - I opted for the very scientific methos of pouring a little bit into hot water in a glass jar [with a lid]. I didn't heat the metal up before i dunked it in and so I put the glass jar into my baby bottle warmer - that's what I use to heat my pickle and this kept it at an even temperature. I wore thick black rubber gloves and a face mask and frlt quite protected. Couldn't smell it at all.

I've managed to do a few of my sea glass pendants which I'm really pleased with - the dark silver contrasts nicely with the white forsted glass. i've also managed to finish off and oxidise a few of my button pendants and I'm really pleased with these as well. I think the antiques look suits the button jewellery and I'm about to make a few more pendants as I've really enjoyed experimenting today.

I haven't really been at the bench for ages as we're renovating at the moment and everything is packed away, so just been doing bits and bobs at my night class every week and concentrating on updating my website and photogrpahing stuff for my shop instead. But I just had the urge to go an create today and I've loved it - wish I could do this everyday!
    Website | Instagram

Default My anitqued button pendants

Ok here are some of the results of my liver of sulphur experimentation...

Chuffed to bits with these.

More images here: Adding bling to my buttons - a set on Flickr
    Website | Instagram

Love that hot pink number the black los contrasts really make the colour ZING!
    nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

I love the yellow button pendant!

I've made a fair bit of jewellery with buttons myself (though none with both buttons and silver); I'm a big fan.