Thread: ORCA torch question

Default ORCA torch question

Hello, I am currently taking a silversmithing course and we use an ORCA torch, which I like really much. So I was thinking about buying some equipment for myself, so I can start making jewellery at home.

My question is weather or not you need an regulator for the torch, because I found a website that says you don't need one.

"REGAL ORCA TORCH
    The Orca torch is a great idea for crafts people that want a basic soldering torch without the expense of buying expensive tanks and gauges. The Orca torch is an atmospheric torch that works without bottled oxygen, drawing the necessary oxygen from the air around us. It also does without the expense of a typical propane gas regulator, instead using adjustable valves designed to fit the basic small refillable propane/lpg tank. The Orca torch is a high precision instrument intended for use as a general purpose soldering and annealing torch. It is easy to travel with, as a gas source can usually be obtained at your destination. It is designed to be used by professionals in an appropriately controlled environment. The Orca torch kit, comes with a torch body and hose, three tips and the correct valve for a 2 3 kg LPG camping bottle."

So it uses uses adjustable valves instead of a regulator. But are the valves something I have to buy seperately?

The ORCA torch can be bought on ebay for 80$, so I it is a decent price.

Does that mean it's American? If it is then the fittings might not fit our bottled gas. Aside from that nope sorry never heard of it
    nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Walsh's sell them here - in the US they're known as an EZ torch (from Otto Frei) or Shark. I have to say I quite fancy one - the balance looks more comfortable than the seivert, and they have an air intake cover (rather than having to do it manually). There's an Israeli seller on ebay too.

You can use it with MAPP, or regular propane tanks. I may well get one for the collection just because!