Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is on your (jewellery) bookshelf?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What a good idea Nic - A Swap Shop!!!!

Thanks for the info on the books... Most of what I possess is second hand - so getting books second hand is no problem...finding one 28 years old might be though! I'll keep a look out as it sounds interesting.

That is rather what I suspected with the enameling book...It would be interesting to know what colours work well though!! Hmmmmm....how long to Christmas????

Your shelf looks a little droopy Wendy! I got a crick in my neck trying to read all the spines! ...some of them look rather 'heavy' in the reading sense as well... I like lots of piccies!! The Automata and Mechanical ones look interesting. Do you make kinetic jewellery??
    Barbara

Ha ha Nic and I thought I was bad. Now if my DH complains I shall show him your List :p

The Penland Book of Jewelry
    Hot and Cold Connections - TimMcCreight
    The Metalsmiths Book of Boxes and Lockets
    Silver Wire Fusing Jones
    The Art of Metal Clay. Haab
    Creative Metal Clay Jewelry. Wire
    Making Silver Chains. Waszek
    Creative Silver Chains Chantal Lise Saunders
    Step by Step Jewellery Workshop Nicola Hurst
    Making Metal Bead Pauline Warg
    Jewelers Studio Handbook Brandon Holschuh
    Wrap, Fold, Stitch and Rivet Mary Hettmansperger
    Making Metal Jewelry Joanna Golberg
    Encyclopedia of Jewelery Making Techniques Jinks McGrath

All Wired Up Mark Lareau
    Wire and Bead Celtic Jewellery Linda Jones
    Wire Style Denise Peck

Search Press Books;
    20 to Make Charms
    20 to Make Bracelets
    80 Original Charms

I also subscribe to Art Jewelry, Jewelry Artist and Step by Step Wire Mags

In order to tell you which was my favourite I'd have to look through them all again! But I do love just looking throught the Penland Book, and would like the 500/1000 books as well for that.

The ones I was most disappointed with when I got them were the chain making books as there were no 'revelations' in them - mostly stuff I knew that I knew really.

My Silversmith Tutor liked the Making Metal Jewellery by Joanna Golberg when I took it to show her and she said it was a brilliant book for beginners.

I still have a few books on my wish list
    The Jeweller's Directory of Shape and Form by Elizabeth Olver
    and Oppi Untracht's Concepts and Technology Book (which Wendy has) even though I have flicked through it at college and know it is too technical for me!!

Talking You have good taste Ominicci!!

It looks like we have a similar taste in books Ominicci! Of the ones I haven't got I rather fancy the Stitch, Fold and Rivet one - is it any good? ...and I have so nearly bought the Creative Silver Chains before...should I finally take the plunge??
    I'm really enjoying having a nose at other people's bookshelf!! Thanks for sharing everyone!
    Barbara

I also fancied the Wrap, Fold, Stitch and Rivet book and wondered if it was worth investing in. The Silver Wire Fusing book also appears on multiple lists - hows that one?

Nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Barbara – Yes the shelf does look like it’s bending under the weight - that’s just down to my bad photography!  I’ve got tons of books on automata and watches/clocks because I wrote my dissertation at uni on automata and man's drive to imitate nature, and my dad is a clockmaker. Mechanisms are extremely inspirational for me, and if only I had a limitless supply of money and time I would make automata. I made kinetic jewellery at uni when I had the time to play, but since my work has become much more ‘wearable’ .

Nic – You have Practical Goldsmith, I love that range of books and hope that one Xmas someone in my family will pay attention to my Amazon Wishlist and buy it for me!!

Default Not really for you Nic

Hi Nic, The Fusing Silver Wire book is one that I would recommend to anyone starting out - or who doesn't believe silver will join to itself without solder - like me! I couldn't believe it when I read it - so this book started my career!! However - even to me at the beginning - the book contents is very basic and the designs are fairly obvious and not terribly adventurous...so I doubt that you would get anything from it really...
    Barbara

my bookshelf ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00166-20090724-0815.jpg  

Hides in a corner, i only have one book so far, so busy trying to collect equipment i just cant buy everything at once and now i wanna look into the pmc (all your fault Barabara having been to your site and blog :P) and also enamalling and and and and........................... i want to learn everythinggggggggggggggggggggg

the library is good they have a good selection i requested a few books today 1000 rings being one of them and a few others from peoples "BOOK SHELF" list ...

Red face I'm SO sorry!

SORREEEEEEE! bustagasket - (sheepish grin)
    But I'm sure we have all been there....no....tell a lie......
    I wouldn't mind betting most of us have seen stuff on this forum over the past few weeks and said to ourselves...'ooo, I fancy having a go at that!' OK so perhaps your 'to do' list is a little longer than some...but hey....think of the fun you are going to have over the next few years!!
    Barbara
    Last edited by Solunar Silver Studio; 26-07-2009 at 08:47 PM. Reason: missed out who I was answering!