Thread: Matt finish on silver

Default Matt finish on silver

Had a request for a Matt finish on a silver torque. Advice on which wheel to buy, please. There seem to be quite a number on Cooksons….from larger type to mount on polishing arbours to mop types.
    David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use these now https://www.cooksongold.com/category...y=Sanding+pads
    I find them more controlled and you can use the different grades to get the look you want and tear off bits to get into difficult placed
    I’ve tried brass mops, scotchbrite (very unforgiving) and have found this to work for me and be lasting

Wow! That was quick…… Thanks for your advice. I was going along the mop pathway…Green or grey. But as it happens I have some 280 sponge and taking your advice….yes it is much more controllable.
    Now for another piece of advice!! This torque has to be engraved. In your opinion should I finish the surface prior to engraving (not by me!) or afterwards. I don’t want the script to be “faded out” but he doesn’t want the pristine just made effect! Oh aren’t people difficult!….including me!!!

I’m not sure on that David but as with assay I’d finish it and then use a more worn pad over the top to make it look a bit aged. I may of course be totally wrong and you might want to ask the engraver

Well, we discussed it and came to the conclusion to engrave a fraction deeper then do the finishing with the pads. Could even dress with patenating fluid then use the pads so leaving the engraving “antiqueitised” or a bit oxidised.

Make sure to give it a coating of wax if you have a patina’d engraving to stop it reacting, and a good wash with baking powder of course
    Check out my website at https://www.woodengold.co.uk/
    Thanks family

Hi there. Sorry to reply late …….I actually am thinking of the patina being in the engraving and the surrounding silver being matt finished. Not a good idea?
    David