If a client gives you a piece of jewellery with a specific job to do, do you just do that or do you do other work that wasn't asked for?

I've had 2 rings now that have come back rather different from how they went. Different jewellers.

One was a garnet and moonstone ring which needed a garnet replacing. The jeweller decided that the moonstone needed repolishing so just did it. The ring looked significantly different and not actually the better for it. The cloudy whiteness of the stone looked far nicer than the bluish transparency of the highly polished state.

The second was a ring that was made for me. It was admittedly very badly made in 22ct gold, but it had been like that for 40 years. Three square cut tourmalines but the 3rd one was a bit skew whiff ( think the 3rd star of Orions belt) I sent it in to be resized and it came back with the wonky third setting now perfectly straight! I was actually devastated. It's no longer "my" ring and I rarely wear it any more.

So did these jewellers over step the mark? It has made me very wary of sending anything to be done to someone else.