Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change size of a lost wax ring model - my finger shrunk :(

Default Change size of a lost wax ring model - my finger shrunk :(

I made a sterling ring from a wax carving that I created last year, and somehow my finger shrunk and now it is too loose. I like that ring a lot and would like to cast it again in a slightly smaller size if that is possible. I have a rubber mold for it as well as a few wax copies. I guess enlarging the size would be easy by simply filing away a bit from the wax molds, but making it tighter? I am a bit stuck Any ideas?

Inject the rubber mould then size the ring in the wax. The same way as you would with a normal ring but using wax and melting it together. I would go half a size bigger to allow for a bit of shrinkage

I think what you are describing is assuming that I am doing the casting myself? I am sorry I didn't make it clear - I had the model sent off to a professional and they cast it for me. I personally don't know how to do it and also don't have the equipment. I only carved the wax model.

So unfortunately I am unable to interfere in the casting process.

I thought you said you have the mould sorry if I misunderstood You could get the casting company to inject it and size the wax before they cast it. I suppose it depends on the design ? If It cant be sized then you could have it scanned and resized digitally them 3d printed and cast. or you could try and carve a smaller one and have that cast !

Yes, I do actually have the mould They sent it to me along with the finished ring when the casting was made. Yes, I suppose asking them if they can resize it would be an option...also thank you for the 3d printing idea, I haven't thought about that at all. I have never worked with 3d printing before though so I would probably need someone to help me with that...might get a bit costly. Simply carving a new (smaller) one would probably be the easiest and cheapest option, but I am not sure how accurate I can "copy" it by hand. I sure wished I could just unshrink my finger and make it go back to its original size LOL

Maybe I am missing something here but is there any reason you can't just resize the ring.

What exactly do you mean with "just resizing it", how would that work in praxis? I am very much a beginner so yes, there might be a super easy way to do this without me being aware of it.

Thank you! I don't have the equipment for that process unfortunately...but I guess I could hand it in to a jeweler and have them do it for me.

Ahh good old professor John Ahr … I really miss his presence on YouTube … not sure what happened but he’s not made videos for a long time … N