Thread: Mitre Jig

Default Mitre Jig

Hello can anyone recommend a basic mitre jig - the prices are so different so not sure what one - goes from £30 to one at £206 ! Thanks

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Some people say you get what you pay for. I recently spent £36 on a basic mitre jig tool that I’m very happy with, can’t fault it so far seems very accurate. Being a hobbyist I tend to go for budget tools. Would be nice to spend £400 on a top end Bergeon model but for me a cheep tool is better than no tool … N

Thank you for that - I'm a hobbyist too - can I ask where you purchased yours and the make?

Not sure if I should mention it on here but my unbranded mitre jig came from cousins. I can’t really recommend the company compared to Cooksongold.
    I have had some really poor quality product sent out from cousins with manufacturing defects that customer services didn’t want to deal with. They eventually said well what do you expect with budget tools. Whereas I found Cooksongold customer services impeccable with dealings and I find there budget tools have a much higher minimum standard … N
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 20-02-2024 at 09:32 PM.

As an amateur, you will have occasional uses for a 45 degree mitre jig, but its main job will be to help you to cut and file the ends of wires, strips and tubes flush.

The problem will not be with the accuracy of the tool, but more with your skill in using it, for instance, clamping the metal tightly enough against the stops or in the grooves, and applying a saw with the correct tension, and in the best direction, to minimise the amount of filing required afterwards.

Ultimately you have discard them when the threads of the screws strip from overtightening, but mine was still going strong after 25years.

Here is a page of some available. I would guess that any with just a 45 and 90 degree facility would do you:

https://www.google.com/search?client...lers+mitre+jig Dennis.

Hi Nick that's interesting - I usually use Cooksons. They have one around £60 so I might opt for that - thanks for your help E

Thank you Dennis - I'll check the links out E

That looks like a good option Efo, I don’t think you’ll regret it … N