Thread: Fine silver brittle and cracking

Default Fine silver brittle and cracking

Hi just finished a ring only annoying thing is that instead of the fine silver bezel settings being nice and bendable they've gone brittle and are cracking. Am I right in thinking this have been caused by overheating the metal? Any tips to prevent this?

Yes, overheating wires makes them brittle.
    Close the air hole a little more on your torch if it has one, and/or reduce flame size,
    Keep the flame on the move,
    Work in a darkened area to be alert to overheating. Dennis.

The images you have on Instagram look like there is one crack. Are there more that I can't see?

If there is just one; is this the joint? Overheating the solder is more likely to cause cracking and pitting.

Quote Originally Posted by alastairduncan View Post
    The images you have on Instagram look like there is one crack. Are there more that I can't see?

If there is just one; is this the joint? Overheating the solder is more likely to cause cracking and pitting.
    No there's more, it's gone crumbly round one of the aquamarines and there are cracks where I pressed the metal over the rutilated quartz. A real shame as I really liked the ring.

I've taken a look at the smaller bezels and it does look like overheating. The advice Dennis has given is spot on. You could cut off the bezels and clean up with ball burrs and remake and fit the bezels.

Thanks Alistair and Dennis, I'm definitly thinking about remaking it as brittle silver is not a good look. I was thinking about reheating the ring till the solder runs and lifting off the bezels that way.

I think trying to unsolder is asking for trouble as it is likely to fall apart. I would cut off as much as I could and use a burr to clean up the rest, ready to fit new bezels.

Thanks Alistair, I'll give it a go. Will let you know how it goes