Thread: Anticlastic bangle maker

Default Anticlastic bangle maker

I have made plenty of spinner rings so decided to make a spinner bangle. I bought the “spinner bangle” tool which has been advertised recently and have had all manner of problems!
    I made my rings using doming punches and not the small version of the bangle tool. I cut a 12 mm wide strip of 0.8mm sterling the necessary length for the bangle size I wanted. Formed a ring, soldered and cleaned it up in the same way as one does for a ring and annealed it thoroughly. Followed all instructions to the T……but I just can’t get a good even flare whether using my hydraulic press or the spanner and bolt method. I have re annealed, turned the ring repeatedly but can’t get an acceptable shape at all.
    Any one here used one of these tools successfully ……..? If so please share your secret!
    Ruedeleglise.

I wonder whether you have seen this video, David.
    The secret is to have perfectly parallel sides to your bangle, getting down to check that it is sitting perfectly horizontal, going ahead very slowly, and turning it to correct any uneven flaring before it becomes too obvious.
    Let us know how it goes.
    https://www.google.com/search?client...2QpWUqDhI,st:0

Default Anticlastic bangle maker

Thanks Dennis. It appears that I had done it correctly! Well I will have another attempt. My strip was bang on in width and parallel. Don’t think he recommended thickness….I used 0.8mm as I use for rings. Will have a further go when I have a chance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ruedeleglise; 02-10-2023 at 08:56 AM.

One thing you might want to check is if the bangle tool you bought is compatible with the thickness of the metal you're using. Sometimes certain tools work better with specific metal thicknesses. Also, make sure your annealing is spot on, as that can affect how the metal behaves when you're trying to flare it.

Well annealed but don’t see any recommendations for metal thickness. Mine is a Cooksongold unit. Many thanks I will do a bit of digging as I have had a further failure. It flared one side more than the other despite me turning the bangle over after each tightening. The silver blank was pre cut by cooksons as I use this width for Spinner rings. These I use the time honoured way to do the flaring …a doming punch with 100% success ….so far!
    David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk