Thread: Stone sizes

Default Stone sizes

What maximum stone size would anyone recommend to be set in a round wire wire 3mm diameter bangle (gypsy set). Thanks!

Because stones are easily lost by repeated knocking, or flexing of a bangle, only 1.0-1.25 mm I'm afraid. Difficult to do and not much to see, as some of the diameter is lost in the setting process.
    Think about using half round, or oval wire, because a larger arc will hold larger stones.

For instance 4.0mm oval wire could hold 1.75-2.00mm round faceted stones. Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Because stones are easily lost by repeated knocking, or flexing of a bangle, only 1.0-1.25 mm I'm afraid. Difficult to do and not much to see, as some of the diameter is lost in the setting process.
    Think about using half round, or oval wire, because a larger arc will hold larger stones.

For instance 4.0mm oval wire could hold 1.75-2.00mm round faceted stones. Dennis
    Thanks very much! Yep I know round not ideal it's just what they want. What would you recommend for 3.5mm round?

For what you describe, you need deeply set stones, with about a clear mm of metal on each side after setting. Even then 1.25mm stones will be difficult to set without a microscope, and be barely visible once in place unless used in large numbers

Work it out for yourself. An extra half mm in the diameter of round wire will make virtually no difference. Only using wire with a lager external arc will help.
    Tell you client she is not King Canute. She will be disappointed with the result as requested, and you will be replacing lost stones for free evermore.
    Dennis.