Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gas and equipment

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Sorry Pat only just saw this. I have no idea as mine is ancient and has none of those things! I only use the middle nozzle/ burner. The wee one is still in its box and I only use the big one for cuffs as it’s quite scary!
    Tried the nozzles on the gas setup and it was good I took it out in the garden as it caught fire, turned the bottle of gas off and had to chuck water on it to put out the flames.
    I would be interested to know what other people use to solder their items with. Answers needed, as I have spent over £130 so far.
    Pat
    Last edited by Patstone; 15-08-2023 at 01:50 PM.

I use a Smiths Little torch, although I use LPG for annealing etc. from the trouble you have had the equipment is faulty somewhere along the line, catching fire is 100% caused by a gas leak, when connected check all your joint/s fittings with soapy water bubbles will form at the site of any leak.

I think most burners for the Sievert torch undo at the very end of the neck tube and there’s a lot of different size burners that fit and do this. However if you want to use the smallest burner possible called a needle flame you also have to change the neck tube for a one that is a lot smaller. when buying from Cooksongold it should come as two parts assembled as one the tiny burner will be attached to the new smaller neck tube … so hopefully disconnect your large nozzle … disconnect the large neck tube … replace with small neck tube and needle flame burn attached … Hope this makes sense. N

Hello again, I have got it sorted at last, I had to ditch the end with the black button as it wasn't a regulator, bought a regulator and it works OK. Having issues with the small
    8mm ? burner, it seems to either not solder or melt. Got propane instead of butane, is there a difference.

Hi Pat, if I’m right I think Sievert torches are designed to run on propane. I have the 8mm needle flame burner for my torch running on a hose failure valve with a button.
    I find it quite fierce for small jobs, the flame in total is about 6 inches long when measured in low light. A commonly used set pressure propane regulator runs at 37 millibars which I think is not enough for a Sievert torch which needs 2 to 4 bar of pressure. This is a picture of the set up I have https://www.tradecounterdirect.com/m...age-type=image … the torch, burner, hose, and bottle connector (hose failure valve) comes preassembled and ready to plug and go … N
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 20-08-2023 at 11:02 PM.

I had a Bullfinch handset with a butane cylinder and had no problems. The Sievert has caused problems since I bought it. The regulator is 2 bar. The setup with the hose that I got from cookies was the same as your photo, the one that caught fire !!!!! The regulator has slowed the gas supply so at least the flame isn't like a flame thrower. I've got the needle flame burner, but wondered if I should go back to the 17 burner that came with the hose. I also had a 22 that came with it, but bought the needle flame as I thought it would be a less fierce flame.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    I had a Bullfinch handset with a butane cylinder and had no problems. The Sievert has caused problems since I bought it. The regulator is 2 bar. The setup with the hose that I got from cookies was the same as your photo, the one that caught fire !!!!! The regulator has slowed the gas supply so at least the flame isn't like a flame thrower. I've got the needle flame burner, but wondered if I should go back to the 17 burner that came with the hose. I also had a 22 that came with it, but bought the needle flame as I thought it would be a less fierce flame.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
    The numbers are different now but I think there are still only 3 burners. The smallest I think is little better than a cooks torch and has been in its box for 40 years. The large one is fierce and I’ve only ever used it for cuffs. I use the medium for everything else I’ve ever made

When you say caught fire … that sounds like a leak. I have lots of connections on one bottle so whenever I change something I use a commercial gas leak detection spray called LD-90 great stuff, easy and convenient to use regularly. Maybe that was your problem with the hose failure valve bottle connector. Once you have your torch up and running properly with a bit of practice you’ll soon know which burner suits a particular size of job. Being quick and easy to change having a few different size burner options is a great advantage.
    I would still tentatively suggest your torch would run best on the hose failure valve that it came with. This is the set up I have with 4 interchangeable burners from the small pin flame burner that is adjustable from a tiny flame to a 6 inch fierce flame. The largest burner I have that connects to this setup is a 2941p that consumes 600 g/h. I use it for annealing large pieces of copper. Here’s hoping you get it sorted … N

Well I have put the medium one 8mm I think on, the small one is too intense. It now works fine, took off the one that came with the cookies hose because that was just a hose stop, if its leaking from the hose I believe but apparently it is NOT a regulator.

Good to hear you’re up and running … have fun with it … Nick