Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gas and equipment

Quote Originally Posted by nicks creative stuff View Post
    Sorry that you’re struggling with your kit Pat, if you’ve had it working I’m sure it should run again. Try this sequence once more … connect a large flame nozzle to your hand piece (it may take time for air to bleed out of a small nozzle) … make sure the tap on the hand piece is turned off … have the valve on the end of the hose connected to your bottle … turn the bottle on … push the button in … now turn on the tap on your handpiece and ignite … hopefully… N
    The button is IÑ. NO GAS.

Is the bottle definitely turned on … anticlockwise … N

Do you have the smallest nozzle attached? … try the button again, is it pushed all the way in and holding in that position?
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 13-08-2023 at 06:12 PM.

Is the tap on the bottle easy to turn on and off? try it a few times then make sure it’s on.

I have tried all the combinations. The bottle is on, without the hose thingy on the bottle, the gas comes out fast. As soon as the hose with the thingy on the gas doesn't come out. When I brought the bottle home the gas came on, but I couldn't get the hose onto the thingy (regulator thing) so I took it back to the Flogas man who put it on for me.. He tried it and it worked. I took it out of the car, struggled to take it upstairs to my spare bedroom where my workroom is, when I put it on there was no hissing, no gas coming through, so I took it back to Flogas, he couldn't get it to work either and it wasnt until we had taken it all apart again and we got on hands and knees that we noticed the button was there. Suppose when we took it apart the button must have reset itself and me struggling upstairs must have pressed it in. It is still in and I can't get it out. Next step is neighbour coming in tomorrow. Big strong man.

Sorry Pat, I think the button should only come out on its own and close the gas supply off when the valve is disconnected from the bottle or a problem such as a leak or a damaged hose. when you have everything set up and turned on the last thing to do is push the button in, turn your torch on and ignite. Maybe you have a faulty “hose failure valve” that is sticking closed … Some buttons may be stiff to push in, i had to use one at work that was really hard to push in and reset … N
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 13-08-2023 at 08:13 PM.

Sorry Pat, I think the button should only come out on its own and close the gas supply off when the valve is disconnected from the bottle or a problem such as a leak or a damaged hose. when you have everything set up and turned on the last thing to do is push the button in, turn your torch on and ignite. Maybe you have a faulty “hose failure valve” that is sticking closed … Some buttons may be stiff to push in, i had to use one at work that was really hard to push in and reset … N
    I don't know if it's faulty but I got it from Cooksons last week. I will take everything apart tomorrow evening when my neighbour disconnects it. Watch this space and thank you for your help. I will tell you what happens. Pat.

Good luck with it Pat I hope you get it sorted … Nick

Hi I got the button sorted out but I have another problem, a while ago I ordered a Sievert Beginners torch which has a 17mm and a 22mm burner as I want to solder jumping I ordered the mini one which is about 1cm across the same size as my old broken one,
    (the 17mm one is like a flame thrower) I rang Cooksons to ask why the Sievert mini one doesn't fit the handset, she didn't know, apparently the tech phone number isn't manned, so spent 10mins waiting for someone to answer then got cut off. Is there a jinx on me, it seems a bit like it. All I want is a gas torch that works, so far paid approx £130 on a pile of sh...t. I went for the sievert as I thought everything would be of good quality and easy for me to interchange the nozzles. WRONG !!!!!!!

I think you have what is called a hose failure valve rather than a regulator. The little button will pop out if it detects any sudden change of pressure like a damaged hose. Small to large interchangeable nozzles have a tiny jet in them that controls the gas flow. If you change a nozzle without turning the gas off this may also cause the button to pop out. As well as removing the valve from the bottle will activate the button … N
    Sorry Pat only just saw this. I have no idea as mine is ancient and has none of those things! I only use the middle nozzle/ burner. The wee one is still in its box and I only use the big one for cuffs as it’s quite scary!