Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi everyone---new here

Default Hi everyone---new here

Hi everyone.
    This looks a real friendly forum, and some great 'how to' stuff.
    Little bit about me----I'm mainly a woodturner/carver/carpenter, but I work with metal as well. A lot of what I've done is replica historical stuff.
    Not sure if I'll be getting into making jewellry right away, most of my work so far has been with copper/brass and steel, so involves normal soldering and arc welding, but I'm trying to do more 'arty' projects now. I've also done quite a bit of work with bone and antler too.
    The most off the wall thing so far is a Steampunk guitar ( I make guitars as well), when I work out how to do it I'll post a pic.
    I hope I't's ok being on here and not making jewellry (yet)???
    I hope you're prepared for some dumb questions flying your way

Cheers.
    Steve.

Hi Steve

Welcome to the forum.

Sonia
    x

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie M View Post
    I hope I't's ok being on here and not making jewellry (yet)???
    Transferable skills, Steve Besides, isn't a Steampunk guitar as much personal adornment as instrument?

Hello from me too Steve, fancy plectrums or is that plectrae?, are very popular I hear.

oh dear I have just been told I am ignorant and it is plectra, ha nothing worse than a classics scholar looking over your shoulder, mind you he could tell me anything and it would all be greek to me.
    Last edited by Kwant; 30-04-2012 at 06:44 PM. Reason: apparently showing my ignorance :0)

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Kwant View Post
    Hello from me too Steve, fancy plectrums or is that plectrae?, are very popular I hear.

oh dear I have just been told I am ignorant and it is plectra, ha nothing worse than a classics scholar looking over your shoulder, mind you he could tell me anything and it would all be greek to me.
    lol - my guitarist son and his band mates call them 'picks' - "the algae eating fish doesn't play so well on the strings", I believe he once said!! lol

Welcome from me to you Steve - I am sure you will learn so much. These peeps keep me informed and challenged, so it is a great place to visit and learn.

Thanks all.
    I'm learning something already-----
    First attested in English 15th century,[8] the word "plectrum" comes from Latin plectrum, itself derived from Greek "πλῆκτρον"[9] (plēktron), "anything to strike with, an instrument for striking the lyre, a spear point".[10] [11]

"Plectrum" has both a Latin-based plural, plectra and a native English plural, plectrums. Plectra is used in formal writing, particularly in discussing the harpsichord as an instrument of classical music. However, plectrums is more common in ordinary speech. In vernacular speech the abbreviation pleck or plec is sometimes used.

Good ol' Wiki.
    I just call them Picks ----and that's given me a couple of ideas already

Wasn't fish the lead singer for marillion he might disagree about the musical abilities of algae suckers

Quote Originally Posted by Kwant View Post
    Wasn't fish the lead singer for marillion he might disagree about the musical abilities of algae suckers
    Indeed he was Kwant.....I saw them live a few times......good they were too!!

Welcome Steve

There is not such thin as a stupid question! we are all learning daily

Julian

Hi Stevie!! I meant to say welcome too, not just get lost in memories of my youth :-)