Thread: Must I pickle immediately?

Default Must I pickle immediately?

So - my lovely parcel of tools arrived from Cooksons on Tuesday but my pickle (I'll be using Silver Prep) has not arrived yet. I really want to get a few things made - or at least part made - so I can finish them at college next week. Am I ok to solder things and then pickle them in a few days time or should they go in the pickle straight away?

Sorry - probably a dumb question but I've not had to think about it before as I've always soldered at college.

Thanks!

Hi,

There is no need to pickle at once, you can pickle at any time after soldering. Also provided all the parts to be soldered are fluxed each time they are heated, there is no need to pickle between soldering.
    In fact traces of pickle remaining can interfere with the flow of solder and need to be well rinsed off. In the case of hollow pieces you might even need to boil them in a solution of soda crystals and then wash well. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 03-03-2011 at 12:13 PM.

Dennis - many thanks for your quick reply! I thought it should be ok but wasn't 100% sure. Right - going to get my tools out now, yay!