Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Micropave

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I found this firm does it too. http://www.cooksongold.com/category_...y=Copper+sheet. That's a fiver you owe me Cookies.
    How thick do you need for stone setting?

Julian

It depends on the size of the stone. So long as there's enough metal to support it underneath and enough to capture it above... For the practice pieces from the course, the metal was generally about 2mm thick. This gave enough room to set approx 5mm stones with the tables flush (or thereabouts). I'm using 0.9mm for the current practice.

If you want more accurate dimensions I can measure the practice pieces to check, albeit later.

Ringwood Precision, that's the one. I also have some phosphor bronze (from the spares bin at our local motorbike shop) tubes which should make nice men's rings. Going to try soldering a rubover mount to those.

Melanie

http://www.spinysharklythings.com

Im going to throw a bit of a curve ball here but if you make the item in cad then using a wax model cast it saves lots of time I have found when setting repetative items just my 10 pence worth wondering what your opinion was ?

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    Im going to throw a bit of a curve ball here but if you make the item in cad then using a wax model cast it saves lots of time I have found when setting repetative items just my 10 pence worth wondering what your opinion was ?
    Josef

Tha is a very interesting topic. I am going to spin that into a new thread, please elaborate in the new tread on your experiences

Julian

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    I suspect that option would lack the feeling of fun and accomplishment Peter is after.

That is definitely part of it - but there's also the issue that I feel it is important (to me anyway) to be able to do these things from first principles beore looking for ways that may be more time efficient.
    I'm not going for the Carl Sagan approach to first principles, mind