Thread: Restringing pearls

Default Restringing pearls

I've just been handed a broken necklace and asked to restring it... Not my usual thing by any manner or means. There's no gimp been used, just silk, and it's only knotted every 5 pearls or so. How do I determine what thickness of silk I need, given all I've got is a bit worn? I'm assuming the sizing for beading needles should match the thread thickness, but you know what they say about "assume".

Hi
    Odd stringing method going on there - every five pearls? No French wire? Sure they are real?
    Most real pearls are drilled with a 0.7mm hole
    (I have all the kit you need..glad to help)
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

They weren't expensive, but they were sold as real pearls (at Badminton last year). They weren't all that expensive, and the construction is an obvious point where costs were cut!
    I suppose it's time I learned how to do this - there's a 2nd string to this set, and if one's gone, the other is likely to as well.

I've been daft on the French wire; this was a continuous strand, so no clasp - so no wire needed.

At Badminton..Interesting.
    They'll be cheapo mass produced made in China with poor quality silk and not very good pearls..yes?
    If you're learning how to do I have a video (via website) on how we do it here which is by one strand knotting. ( the whole process start to finish)(Others use a two strand method and I am hoping for a video on that soon)
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    At Badminton..Interesting.
    A standalone pitch, not one of the larger tents. Some fairly high costs to deal with to start with so there needs to be a fair volume on sales to cover it. I've been doing some numbers on that...

They'll be cheapo mass produced made in China with poor quality silk and not very good pearls..yes?
    Well, the silk broke after less than a year of light use, the magnet in the clasp fell out after a week (epoxy!) and they weren't hugely expensive. So almost certainly!