Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hallmarking

Default Hallmarking

Hi
    I have just got my own mark and I am about to send off my first batch off things for Hallmarking. I wondered do people just send off items above the legal weight limit to be Hallmarked or do you send smaller items as well? If it all has a Hallmark does it look more professional and can you get a better price at the end of the day? I would love to hear comments from people who sell a lots and have been doing so for years.
    Jane

I havent been doing it for years but have sent off two batches of stuff to be hallmarked. We chose a smallish hallmark 0.50mm, which we were told was quite big, all I can say is you need a big magnifier to see it properly. We send off anything really that you could fit a hallmark on without damaging it, I dont bother with earrings unless they are substantial, as the hallmarking does squash the silver a bit. I didnt read the small print adequately and found that the second batch I sent which was quite small, just about 5 items, they charge a minimum payment of about £19, so make up a big bundle to send. Stuff does tend to get scratched too, so you will have to finish it off after it comes back, the last lot I sent up unpolished, check the invoice when you get it, because they overpriced ours by £14 and I had to ring them up and ask for a "re-count". They apologised and sent a credit note for me, so no trouble really, but make sure you take a copy of the form you send with it. I also took a photo of the items too, not that I am suspicious, but.................

I sent off my first batch to be hallmarked just yesterday and only one of the items was above the legal weight requirement. I don't know if you can necessarily command a better price, though the cost of marking has to be factored into your end price of course but I think it certainly is more professional and gives your customer that extra bit of confidence in you as a maker if your materials are indeed what you say they are.

So albeit not one who has done lots or for years but those are my thoughts.

I tend to have everything hallmarked. As there is a minimum payment, for me it is 26.90 euros (inc), a little over your 19.00 GBP, then I think why not have everything done. The minimum payment is due to the weight of the combined articles, so I put a batch together to the weight or over and deliver it to my hallmarking office by hand, it is just 20 minutes by car, and then I can check the lot before leaving the hallmarking office, this way I clear any misunderstandings before they occur. I have my own barcoded boxes, when I go to make a pick up I take my next batch with me. I can request a 2 hour stamping but this is on just 2 mornings per week and they charge 100% ontop of the normal cost. I can request a 2 day service, which is 50% the normal costs, but usually I go every Friday morning.

Lesley
    Poor old Les

I send everything in to be done, my punch is 1mm and I keep that at home and stamp my copper and brass things with my initials too. For small and delicate things, I get them to laser mark them rather than punch.

Where do you get yours done, Pat? I use the London office and have never had any problem with scratches etc, although I seem to remember Dennis had some issues with lasering.

Melanie

http://www.spinysharklythings.com

Hmmm I did read about the lasering option but forgot about it come time to fill in the hallnote, is it something you have to ask for on the special instructions sheet?

Thats where I go, the first batch (my daughter who also makes silver jewellery) took some time off work and we went up for a long weekend, which just happened to be at the same time as the big Goldsmith show they have there once a year in the Assay Office, and of course we scoured Hatton Gardens for anything that we could make into jewellery, beads which we never really touch seemed to be everywhere and of course we had to bring some home. The second batch we sent up earlier this year, but for some reason I dont seem to have much time to make stuff now. I think part of it is that hubby works nights now so he has to have dinner at lunchtime and then he goes to bed, so after I have taken the dogs out in the morning I have to start getting dinner ready then I have to creep around the house cos hubby's asleep and my "workshop" is my spare bedroom, which is next door to ours. Hopefully when we get the shop up and running, I am hoping to be able to do some in there.

Melanie De Castro Pugh;47497]I send everything in to be done, my punch is 1mm and I keep that at home and stamp my copper and brass things with my initials too. For small and delicate things, I get them to laser mark them rather than punch.

Where do you get yours done, Pat? I use the London office and have never had any problem with scratches etc, although I seem to remember Dennis had some issues with lasering.

Melanie

http://www.spinysharklythings.com[/QUOTE]

For some stupid reason I thought the UK was the only country that did hallmarking. Just goes to show how much I know doesnt it.

Quote Originally Posted by art925 View Post
    I tend to have everything hallmarked. As there is a minimum payment, for me it is 26.90 euros (inc), a little over your 19.00 GBP, then I think why not have everything done. The minimum payment is due to the weight of the combined articles, so I put a batch together to the weight or over and deliver it to my hallmarking office by hand, it is just 20 minutes by car, and then I can check the lot before leaving the hallmarking office, this way I clear any misunderstandings before they occur. I have my own barcoded boxes, when I go to make a pick up I take my next batch with me. I can request a 2 hour stamping but this is on just 2 mornings per week and they charge 100% ontop of the normal cost. I can request a 2 day service, which is 50% the normal costs, but usually I go every Friday morning.

Lesley

Quote Originally Posted by Kwant View Post
    Hmmm I did read about the lasering option but forgot about it come time to fill in the hallnote, is it something you have to ask for on the special instructions sheet?
    Yes the laser hallmark has to be asked for specially and I put '3D laser hallmark please' and then specify the height required. The quality is quite sharp, but it might have to be re-pickled if your assay office leaves it black.

I must say I like hallmarks to show and rarely have them less than 2.0mm high. I have also made some images of incremental sizes with my photocopier, so that I can have a preview of what to expect. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 01-05-2012 at 08:57 PM.

Noted Dennis, thank you.