Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: December Themed Competition

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    What do you think?
    I think you would never use anything else Peter ;-D

That's lovely Peter. I assume there's a very happy lady wearing it now.

Ok so here's my entry. A double sided pendant with a 14mm citrine on the front and tourmaline on the back. Not sure if I'll stick with the double row of belcher (4) chain. I've just had my first batch of stuff back from LAO so have been finishing a few things off! I finally hope to start selling next year

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	4165Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	4164

Currently still needing to work on the photography. I bought this recently: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Photography-...774907&sr=8-58 and the light is fantastic. Working with a soft box without a front (which is why the photos are angled as they are) but I think the one I have is too large (50cm x50cm x 50cm) to allow sufficiently diffused light from both sides. Not intending to use the umbrellas but may have a play with various umbrella/tracing paper, with/without softbox alternatives.
    Indi

Quote Originally Posted by surfergirl View Post
    Ok so here's my entry. A double sided pendant with a 14mm citrine on the front and tourmaline on the back. Not sure if I'll stick with the double row of belcher (4) chain. I've just had my first batch of stuff back from LAO so have been finishing a few things off! I finally hope to start selling next year

Name:	front.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	4165Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	4164

Currently still needing to work on the photography. I bought this recently: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Photography-...774907&sr=8-58 and the light is fantastic. Working with a soft box without a front (which is why the photos are angled as they are) but I think the one I have is too large (50cm x50cm x 50cm) to allow sufficiently diffused light from both sides. Not intending to use the umbrellas but may have a play with various umbrella/tracing paper, with/without softbox alternatives.
    Hi Indi,
    Those piccies aren't at all bad!! I got some decent lights, similar but with shades rather than brollies and they are great. What do you photograph your pieces on, it gives great contrast??

Good luck with the selling in 2013

Tabby :-)

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

gosh what amazing work people! You lot are so talented. All the best and a Happy 2013 to you all
    Last edited by Wallace; 30-12-2012 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    Hi Indi,
    What do you photograph your pieces on, it gives great contrast??
    Tabby :-)
    In these shots I used silver mirror card. I've got some gold to try as well. They act as great reflectors, too (cutting strips, folding one end so it can 'sit up') and placing a few in various points to reflect the light). The negative is that the reflection of the piece isn't very sharp (which may or may not be desired). Perspex sheet gives a nice crisp reflection. I've only used black (which although reflects the piece nicely, also reflects the soft box so, further faffing needing in setting up the shot and or post shot editing needed) but am thinking about clear with perhaps white/black/mirror/(foil?) underneath or maybe white perspex?

similar but with shades
    What type of shade? Could you add a link? Would you say you are now happy with your set up?

Maybe I should not bother with the shiny surface and concentrate instead on the plain white/grey surface (don't want to have to redo shots if submitting to magazines and the like). Any thoughts on this? In trying to be more efficient, when it's time to photograph, ideally I'd want shots of the piece for my website as well as suitable shots for sending out. Hmmm....I think I'll need to be shooting on both types of background..... Will HMRC accept photography as an expense (if I'm the one doing it)?

Good luck with the selling in 2013
    Thank you! Good luck to everyone else too - here's sending positive vibes for making progress in which ever direction you wish to take. xoxoxo
    Last edited by surfergirl; 30-12-2012 at 09:35 AM.
    Indi

Hello

This is my entry and it's a pendant I made for my mum for Christmas and she is really thrilled with it.

The wings of this pendant are hand pierced from 1.0 mm sterling silver and has been folded to give the piece a three dimensional feel, the body of the butterfly is hand twisted using 0.8 mm sterling silver wire and is soldered onto the centre of the wings. The little butterfly is recycled from a separate larger pendant I bought from a charity shop it just didn't sit right at all but I really loved the little butterfly and so I came up with this design to incorporate it. The pendant hangs from sterling silver snake chain. I enjoyed making this piece Photos are not great, but I hope it shows the piece well.

Name:	SAMSUNG CAMERA PHOTOS_ 073.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	4166Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAMSUNG CAMERA PHOTOS_ 082_.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	4167Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAMSUNG CAMERA PHOTOS_ 076_.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	4168
    Last edited by Vanessa; 30-12-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by surfergirl View Post
    What type of shade? Could you add a link? Would you say you are now happy with your set up?
    Thanks for the info Indi! I've just looked for the link for the lights but I can't find, so I'll keep looking!! At worst I'll take a picture of them!! Still trying to get my set-up right, much happier with the light source now!!......though there always seems room for improvement,................

Quote Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
    Hello

This is my entry and it's a pendant I made for my mum for Christmas and she is really thrilled with it.

The wings of this pendant are hand pierced from 1.0 mm sterling silver and has been folded to give the piece a three dimensional feel, the body of the butterfly is hand twisted using 0.8 mm sterling silver wire and is soldered onto the centre of the wings. The little butterfly is recycled from a separate larger pendant I bought from a charity shop it just didn't sit right at all but I really loved the little butterfly and so I came up with this design to incorporate it. The pendant hangs from sterling silver snake chain. I enjoyed making this piece Photos are not great, but I hope it shows the piece well.

Name:	SAMSUNG CAMERA PHOTOS_ 073.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	4166Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAMSUNG CAMERA PHOTOS_ 082_.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	4167Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAMSUNG CAMERA PHOTOS_ 076_.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	4168
    Sorry I noticed an error - this piece is not fully folded its more bent in the middle - didnt want to mislead though I think you can see this in the photos ? (couldnt find the edit function for my posting)

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    That's lovely Peter. I assume there's a very happy lady wearing it now.
    She's quite pleased with it
    Not a small piece, the dome is around 40mm diameter - and I kept the pattern bold rather than the more intricate (fussy?) ones I tend to prefer.