Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: PUK welders

PUKs and lasers both suffer a bit with silver - the heat conduction is high enough to require more energy dumped into the joint to compensate. With the laser, I also use a black Sharpie on target areas; it increases the energy absorption. That said, they both can manage quite well; AFAIR the PUK will need argon for all welds, while the laser doesn't always. I did a repair on a watch recently replacing a lobster claw with a toggle bar; the jump rings I welded (leather strap) - I also closed a few of the originals for increased safety.

This is a very short video of a PUK welding a gold jumpring - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIbsqrHgszc
    The hand/eye coordination comes quite quickly when using the scope.

I know Andrew Berry bought one a little while back? Jeffrey Herman uses one for his restoration work too.
    http://www.silversmithing.com/puk.htm

Welding is welding.

Thanks Peter, those links are useful. I've asked Andrew for his opinion as well.

Actually, there's another bit I ought to emphasise - when I say "welding is welding", I mean a) the principles of welding are the same whether it's oxy acetylene, MIG, arc, TIG, ultra small TIG (PUK) or laser and b) it isn't soldering - there's no capillary flow through the joint at all; you need adequate joint preparation to be able to weld from the root of the joint outwards and you need a filler metal. With jump rings, it's fairly normal that the jump ring itself is the filler, the weld penetration is adequate with no additional joint prep and the edges of the ring flow inwards to fill the gap. So more like fusing in that sense.

Yes, I know what you mean. Andrew's got back to me to say he's using his PUK for 50% of his jewellery now, so I guess it's working for him. He's planning a video soon, so I'll wait for that.

If it's a joint that I think is better soldered (large or long joints in particular) then I'll probably only tack-weld things in place first. But likewise, I use the laser for a lot of fabrication now... You can use jigs that would never stand up to a torch (pine, for example) for holding things in place for assembly.
    Oh, binding wire's a rare thing for me now too.

Carole, sadly I am still at the coveting stage! Interested to see Andrew's video though, as I've not had a chance to see one in action up close yet.

Andrew has produced the first video but it's really only an introduction, which is very tantalising! Hurry up Andrew, stop teasing and get on with the next one!

There's another technology day at Goldsmiths imminently - I would imagine Sutton Tools will be demonstrating there. The PUK welder, I mean - as opposed to marching around waving placards with "Down with this sort of thing".

I think it's June 17th. I have signed up, which is probably a terrible idea as then I'll want one even more!

Ha ha! I have seen one demo'd at Spring Fair so I won't need much convincing. I just want someone to tell me that I can't live without it and it will transforms my life!