Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: November Themed Competition

Hi Tasha thats wonderful. must have taken a lot of time and knashing of teeth. How did you fix all the crystals on, not bezel set surely. Whatever you did it looks lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Hi Tasha thats wonderful. must have taken a lot of time and knashing of teeth. How did you fix all the crystals on, not bezel set surely. Whatever you did it looks lovely.
    Thanks so much Pat, It did take a long time. I wish they were bezel set lol Haven't attempted setting yet as only started in june this year. There is a mixture of wired swarovski beads, soldered on copper shot and i used two part epoxy for the flat back swarovski crystals. I feel that as it a bridal, ie special occasion piece, the epoxy works pretty well (did try very hard to prise off the crystals and they were totally impossible to move) I wanted the effect to be like dewdrops so this method was probably the best
    Tasha
    X
    www.truffleandpodge.co.uk

LOVE LIKE YOU WANT TO BE LOVED

What is interesting, Tasha is that if you ever want to recycle any of it, you need very little heat from you mini torch to soften the glue. In fact I think a heat gun would do it too. Dennis.

I am more wire jeweller than classic one - so my favourite technique is wire wrapping (and weaving, decorating with bunch of wire wrapped stone etc.). This particular piece has more soldered joints than cold ones, because I needed firm rim around the shell, but I added cluster of wire wrapped freshwater pearls and some beads on the chain.
    Material: Sterling silver, fine silver, hand cut freshwater shell, freshwater pearls.
    Name: Naiade

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	naiade2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	5424

so many lovely things! My favourite technique I think is probably reticulation. Only because it forces patience on me (which I'm not terribly good at).
    This isn't a particularly brilliant example, but I was pleased because I'd cut the disc first, and managed to not malform it during the heating!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1463988_582027878512637_1033392912_n.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	5425

Default Chasing & Repousse Dragonfly Brooch

An interesting range of techniques and fine examples shown!

My favourite technique is still chasing & repousse. Here is a dragonfly brooch which is made from copper and measures 85mm across its wings and 65mm in length. It has a gilding metal backing plate with backholes to expose some of the features. The double pin, plate and catch are brass and the tube was formed and drawn from brass sheet.

The basic copper dragonfly took a day to make as I was learning the technique for the first time. Since then, it has been awaiting transformation and I decided that a brooch would suit it.

There were several elements and techniques involved in refining the shape of the dragonfly and creating the backing plate, catch and pin. I learned a lot during the making process, and would approach some things differently for another piece.

Here it is:

Attachment 5428

Attachment 5429
    Last edited by Ada; 30-11-2013 at 08:34 PM.

some great late entries to this! Podge, that bouquet is fabulous, so many techniques! Loving Naiede and Lydiaz entries too. The dragonfly is great as well, especially as a first attempt. I wouldn't dream of that. Too fiddley! Sandra, I think yours is really elegant

I agree Liz, It's a vintage month. The only problem I have with Sandra's is that as its stamped TNT, it might be confiscated at an airport. ;-0

Really gorgeous entries this month, the judges will find it hard to choose!
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

it is good to see another busy month of entries. Best wishes everyone