Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Piercing?

I love piercing

I think there's a difference here between the studio jeweller, or designer maker, and the technologically skilled designer. However, I think for the latter to be really good, they need to have the skills of the former - I've seen a lot of lovely designs created with clever software that in reality won't ever work as a finished piece - which could, a lot of the time, be avoided if the designer had a better understanding of traditional skills. I think the two can be complimentary, but as in so many areas, it's a great shame if the skilled artisan gets lost along the way.

I agree with what George has said about the differing skills.
    I am not a jeweller so most of my work in the past has been one offs, of objet d-art and made from designs that were life size, hand drawn and hand painted. These painted designs had to be of a quality suitable to submit to possible customers.

James

There's obviously a huge difference between most of what I make which is affordable and the top end stuff that James made. If I was selling something for thousands, it would all be hand pierced as that's what the customer would expect. Indeed when I make engagement rings, they're all done by hand and I charge accordingly.

Lauren - I use John Robinson from L4 Laser for my lasering stuff. I've always been happy with the service and he's usually really quick. This is his number 0116 283 3400

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    I agree with what George has said about the differing skills.
    I am not a jeweller so most of my work in the past has been one offs, of objet d-art and made from designs that were life size, hand drawn and hand painted. These painted designs had to be of a quality suitable to submit to possible customers.

James
    May we see some of them James?

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Wales View Post
    May we see some of them James?
    Here are a couple of designs and the finished pieces Anna. They were not my designs and as you will see it was up to me to turn the designer's original idea into makeable items.

James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	030d Butterfly clock design & finish.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	4851Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0034e- Orchid egg design & finished.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	4852
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 14-06-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Thank you for showing these, to see the designs brought to life is so interesting from a making point of view. They are truly stunning.

Thank you for showing these, to see the designs brought to life is so interesting from a making point of view. They are truly stunning.
    Thank you Anna, these couple of pics show the egg in bits,

James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	034b- Orchid egg.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	4853Click image for larger version. 

Name:	034c- Orchid egg surprise.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	4854

I could look at these all night! How long did the piece take you? Guessing and probably totally incorrect but is the base rock crystal or glass?

I could look at these all night! How long did the piece take you? Guessing and probably totally incorrect but is the base rock crystal or glass?
    This Orchid egg took me six weeks to make, the single orchid fits inside the egg as it's surprise. Both bases are carved rock crystal, the set stones are all diamonds and the 18ct. gold weight was 410 grams, the enamelling was done by Kempson Mauger and the designer was Susan K McMeekin.

James

While on the subject of piercing, has anyone looked at the Cooksons Knowledgebase on what saw blade to use for which thickness of material. Either I have misinterpreted their chart or they have made a mistake. They list Grade 3 as Grade 3 and say 16 teeth per cm, then further down they have listed Grade 3/0 and they have 25 teeth per cm. Is there a difference in the sizing or is it just to confuse people like me.