Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you bend your rings?

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    However, the ones from Cookies are Swiss made, and you can be pretty sure the ebay version are made in Pakistan, so will be inferior in terms of materials and engineering.

You pays your money etc...
    I know...... I have one of both.... Cheaper came second, and, I use it often. Leather it up and it is fine. I did get my cheaper one as a present, but knew it was of less quality, however, it does work well. If one is on a budget, one has to go for what one can afford - it helps if one can get some sort of recommendation. They work fine, just need to check the screws on them occasionally.

I've got the Cookies one and it works well.

Assuming that the one in Canada is the same one that Wallace has, what is the thickest silver wire it will bend, as I sometimes make rings quite thick and struggle not to get marks on it then spend the next four hours trying to sand/file the marks out. At £133 plus Vat from Cookies, it is out of my price range, but a third of that price from abroad is in with a chance, if it works on say 4mm thick.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Assuming that the one in Canada is the same one that Wallace has, what is the thickest silver wire it will bend, as I sometimes make rings quite thick and struggle not to get marks on it then spend the next four hours trying to sand/file the marks out. At £133 plus Vat from Cookies, it is out of my price range, but a third of that price from abroad is in with a chance, if it works on say 4mm thick.
    Hi Pat,

I have never gone thicker than 3mm, but any bending was done after annealing anyway. the 3mm on both pliers, bends without me worrying about it. I have leather on the lower part of the jaws on both to reduce marks.

It may be worth hearing if anyone else has any and see if they have tried thicker.