Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: December Themed Competition

Oooh, pretty. Also, welcome the the forum Quet =D
    Sian Williamson

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Wow! That really is a statement Wallace. Lovely.
    Thank you Carole. It has been a long time in planning and making. I still giggle at the cork popping in the fizzy stream! Lol. Thanks for the great feedback.

Lovely entries this month, good luck everyone.

This dragonfly brooch is my “statement” piece so far, as well as employing my favourite technique ! It certainly elicits a positive reaction whenever I wear it.

The dragonfly element of the brooch is made from copper sheet 0.5mm thick using chasing & repousse techniques; it measures 85mm across its wings and 65mm in length. The basic copper dragonfly took a day to make. Making all the elements to create the brooch was a good skill-developing journey (see below); I didn’t expect it to become quite so involved and it took several more days to complete.

It has a gilding metal backing plate with backholes to expose some of the texturing on the back of the copper; I learnt that this is often a feature of brooches.

---

The "journey" (skip this if you're not into detail):

The backing plate was pierced from sheet, the edges filed, the backhole pierced and champfered, and the holes drilled. The backing plate & dragonfly were then soldered together.

The brass plate for the hinge mechanism was pierced, scored, folded and soldered. The tubing was cut from sheet, drawn and soldered to the plate, before the two were soldered onto the backing plate. The catch was formed of one piece of metal shaped to suit and soldered on. The double pin was formed and threaded through the tubing prior to finishing off and polishing. I have also learnt that this “finishing off and polishing” phase is definitely not the “just” at the end of the process!

---

At the end of the year I have been reflecting on what I find so compulsive about the creative process. I think what fascinates me is how the journey in making a piece is never quite what I anticipate, and learning to go with it and enjoy the side-trips and challenges becomes an integral part of the finished object.

Attachment 5534
    Attachment 5536
    Attachment 5535
    Last edited by Ada; 31-12-2013 at 10:28 PM.

It's an oldie from earlier in the year, but still my most 'statement' piece I think, and definitely a favourite.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	talisman.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	5537
    ETA: I made it (it was entirely unplanned, and I sort of felt it out as I went along) from old wooden beads from a broken rosary I had, silver and a gorgeous whopper of a rutilated quartz cab.

Beautiful piece Lydia.
    Quote Originally Posted by LydiaNiz View Post
    It's an oldie from earlier in the year, but still my most 'statement' piece I think, and definitely a favourite.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	talisman.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	5537
    ETA: I made it (it was entirely unplanned, and I sort of felt it out as I went along) from old wooden beads from a broken rosary I had, silver and a gorgeous whopper of a rutilated quartz cab.

thank you :-)

Good afternoon everyone,

Thank-you for all of the December entries we received. We have really enjoyed everyone’s interpretation of the ‘Statement Pieces’ theme and the judging this month has been extremely close.

Congratulations to Wallace! The judges said: “It’s simple but effective and we love the flying cork! We think it captures the celebration of New Year well and the techniques used - soldering, setting, saw piercing are very neat and done well!” Please email jennifer.morrison@cooksongold.com to claim your £100 shopping spree.

Our next design competition will be launched at the beginning of February so do stay tuned…

Congratulations Wallace! I love your sparkly pin. Now you can open a bottle of the real thing to celebrate.

Congratulations Wallace =D Loads of fantastic entries again this month xx
    Sian Williamson

Well done Wallace this has been a great month for you x