Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Palladium

Not sure I can help with your query sheepy, but can I ask what you've got it held in please, looks very secure??!!

looks like pitch being black but would make more sense if it was setters wax, which I know comes in black too. i use the red setters wax a lot, it is invaluable when it comes to holding stuff in place while you work on it.

I'd guess at pitch from the surface texture.
    A bit late I'm afraid, but for inlay with gold wire, anything other than 24k is a bit of a headache - the alloys are much more prone to work hardening before you've got them locked in place and springing out again. Granted, if you want colours in your inlay there's no option but to use alloys. Don't start from the end - lock the wire in a little way from the end and work back to it.

i think if you start at one end and with a narrow hammer tap the gold into the groove, the gold needs to be as wide as the top of the groove and a little deeper than the groove depth, it should spread into the groove and hold in place. I dont think the annealed gold will be to much of a problem. Let us know how it goes.

Sink the wire in slightly below the surface of the Palladium and hammer the edges over to retain the Gold wire. Make sure it's a tight joint and then send it out for a quick zap with a laser welder. (unless you have your own of course). Lasering the joint uses minimal localised heat and prevents loosening of the inlay due to expansion of the ring. It works in Titanium, Platinum, Palladium.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2246.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	3614

You could tack the start of the inlay to the ring for extra security but it isn't necessary - they don't come out unless somebody tries to resize the ring by stretching it, which then usually splits the joint.