Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: May Themed Competition 2013

beautiful set of rings. Is it my monitor or is the gold white gold with yellow detail?

That's right Liz. Thanks for the comments.

I am preparing photos for my next book, adding some of my piercing pattern shapes alongside the finished items. This one shows the only flower that I made and kept for myself. It is a pair of Chrysanthemums with trailing Ivy set in a carved rock crystal vase. I can only take credit for the goldsmithing as others did the enamelling and vase carving. The flowers and Ivy are made from gold. and the whole piece stands 11 inches high. I thought I might as well enter it in this months competition as making flowers is one of my greatest pleasures.

I will post the photo with my piercing patterns, on another thread.

James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26-Opal White Chrysanths + Ivy.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	4695

just wow, James. Do you keep it on the mantelpiece?

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    just wow, James. Do you keep it on the mantelpiece?
    This flower is kept in my safe in it's custom made leather bound case, when it's out on show it sits on one of my large Tannoy loadspeakers.

James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	131 Chrysanths in case.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	4697

And that flower in the vase is just fabulous Goldsmith. How wonderful to have that much gold to play with!

My entry this month is the butterfly garden necklace. The frame was about an inch in height and the stone used was a 5x3mm african amethyst. Next to the other entries submitted it looks like a peice of scrap metal lol, the recipient was happy with it though =)
    I can't seem to be able to use the cooksons photo image so I hope this link works =S

Sian Williamson

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Hi everyone,

Wow! There are some amazing pieces, Love everything so far )

Here is my offering for the Flowers theme. These are stylised Fuchsias - made from flat sheet that I put through my mill after a bit of recycling. Wire and tube. I really enjoyed getting my saw out for these as super gluing two pieces to make identical is something I don't often do - it was fun to get the Knew saw out and guide it through. I used a doming block and round nose pliers to get the petals and sepals to curve and used a round doming punch on some wood to help make each one bulb out a little.

Each 'stamen' was soldered in two places - at a loop and at the tube. Each tube is set both sides using different shades of pink sapphires ranging from 1.4 mm - 1.7mm. The Swarovski crystal fortunately didn't break on either 'stigma' when I soldered the top loop closed. Each piece was then added together to make each flower. Phew!

I enjoyed this challenge - a variety of views, lack of rain forces daylight bulbs and my old camera is struggling!

Attachment 4713Attachment 4715Attachment 4716Attachment 4717

best wishes everyone xxx
    Last edited by Wallace; 11-05-2013 at 11:41 PM. Reason: typo

We're having our own flower show here. Being nosy, I'm dying to see how the are hung inside the flower head, though, Wallace.