Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How would you make something like this?

Why would you want to copy it?
    Just design your own.
    There is zero point in copying something that is being mass produced.
    Find yourself a nice piece of amber and create your own design around that

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Why would you want to copy it?
    Just design your own.
    There is zero point in copying something that is being mass produced.
    Find yourself a nice piece of amber and create your own design around that
    I agree and the amber might dictate the design if it's a really nice piece

Yes I agree but sometimes you have requests from customers who like a cheap design but want it in proper jewellery, not mass produced stuff. They are giving you an idea of what they like not that it has to be exactly the same. Make one up and see what it looks like, you can always sell it to someone else if the customer doesnt want it. I agree about the bail, it is too big. If I was asked to make one similar, I would get "D" wire and bend it to the shape of the amber with the tennis racket handles smooth off the tops of the "D" wire and solder on a smallish loop on the back, if they wanted it open both sides I would solder bezel wire onto the edge of the "D" wire both sides and drill a hole through the top of the two "D" wires and put a jumpring through. I would probably price it at around £45 depending on the time it took, but as you probably all know mine isnt a job its a hobby and we sell at a couple of local craft fairs.
    Last edited by Patstone; 12-12-2015 at 07:22 AM.

I also can see the appeal of these cheap pieces - and I occasionally buy one from a charity shop just as a reminder. It's all in a good cause anyway. But then I can also look at a piece like in the OP and see its glued. I think we have a massive task in continuing to educate people about what is good and what is not.

I find at the local craft shows, people stop to look at our things and say oh how lovely, then look at the price and say, I am not paying that for it. I like supporting the local craft show because it sends its profits to charity, so Hospice benefit every month. We call the prospective buyers the 3 P's. Pick-up, Put down, and P___ off. Good job I have got a sense of humour.

I can understand somebody sending a pic of something like this and saying they would like something similar.
    But to me that would just mean designing a silver pendant with amber in, it rarely means they actually want a copy.
    So I would search for a special piece of amber and let that help me dictate the design.

Thats the problem Pat, you can never compete with mass produced items so you have to make your work different enough to demand its own pricing.

My items are "one-offs" normally, more of a designer item I suppose, only if what I have made doesnt fit i.e a ring do I make one similar and even then its not exactly the same. Most of the people that look at our stand say that the designs are beautiful, but the typical saying is "but not at that price". The only thing we buy in is silver sheet and wire and fine chains. Everything else is made by hand by my daughter and I and most of our items, rings, pendants etc are under £45, so for "designer" jewellery its cheap.
    I think that down here, people just dont have the money to spare. Its part of the world that is appealing to holidaymakers, but they are probably on a limited budget otherwise they would probably travel somewhere warmer, and of course a lot of people come to Devon to retire so also quite an elderly population. We are promoting our website with gusto now so hopefully it will bring in a few sales. Good job its only a hobby eh!!! Enough of my whingeing, head up and carry on.

The availability of money goes with the state of the economy, so don't delude yourself .. it's often cheaper to go abroad! I simply can't afford to take my family on holiday in the UK.

How about a link to your website then Pat?

Yes, maybe work more on your internet presence Pat?
    You reach a bigger market that way, are you on FB? Etsy? and keep your link in your signature here so anybody reading can have a look