Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Watch repairs

You are probably right. I love doing the Exmouth Show which is held every month because we are all mates, so have a fun day, done more for the social gathering than anything else. I dont want to "have to" make jewellery apart from the odd commission - I am retired and have been working non stop since I was sixteen, so dont want the hassle of travelling miles, and although I do drive, I am not keen on driving mile after mile and of course my partner in crime (my daughter) is still working in full time employment and makes jewellery as I do, as a hobby. The only couple of events that I know of within easy reach of here is the one at Westpoint which is a three day event and £300 plus a day for the table, and there is another at the Cathedral Green which is the same sort of money, so out of the question. I would be pleased to hear of any others, but after having people look at our stuff and say that it is far too expensive and put it back on the table again, we have kept prices down.
    Last edited by Patstone; 05-08-2015 at 04:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    people look at our stuff and say that it is far too expensive and put it back on the table again
    Do you trust these people's judgement on the matter better than your own and that of the people on this forum who are consistently telling you you're selling it too cheaply? Your fellow forum-members are people who should know, since they're successfully selling their jewellery at higher prices than you.

You've often said that people down your way just don't have the money to pay higher prices. Well firstly there are bound to be many exceptions to that generalisation (and you should try coming to the North!), and secondly all this means is that you need to find a better market place in which to sell your goods. This in itself takes work, of course, and some money, but unless you do go and find a better market in which to sell your goods, then you'll be perpetually condemned to relive the same demoralising experience of meeting buyers who complain your goods are too expensive when simple economics, if nothing else, tells you they're not.

I had one of my mokume gane bowls in the recent ACJW exhibition. One woman complained that it was very expensive, so I gave her the whistle-stop tour of how long they take. Finishing up with "and then I shape it into a bowl". It's not expensive, it's actually quite cheap for the labour.

Anyway, I sold its brother privately.

I was just going to mention...too expensive.....compared to what? Everything has it's price, and the quality of the work and the time taken and the skill required should never be underestimated, or indeed hidden from the customer!

I always go back to people being willing to pay their mechanic, plumber, electrician the £40 -£60 an hour at least!

I really do get it Pat. It's so easy to fall into the trap of wanting to sell stuff so much that you keep the prices low. I don't think the problem is the area you live in as much as the shows you do.

Those more expensive shows may seem a bit daunting but if you can take five times your booking fee, then it's worth it. Maybe you should forget the regular summer shows when it's just visitors wiling away their time and think about spending your time making stuff for a good Christmas show. That's when people really do spend their money. I've heard the Cathedral Green one can be really good. I have a jewellery (mostly beaded) friend who rents a cabin there at Christmas. She spends all year making stuff for it, spends 5 days dressing, decorating and stocking the cabin and makes a years worth of dosh in one go! Bit scary I know! Having gone to look last year, I can report that there's no decent handmade silver jewellery there, probably because most people are too busy elsewhere.

I was in a local seaside town recently (won't mention where). There was a craft fair going on in a church hall so I thought I'd pop in.
    The stalls all looked really cheap (a cloth slung over a table). The produce was all so "homespun" but not in a nice way, more in a "nicknacks that your Gran might like" sort of way. The stallholders all had that desperate look in their eyes. Because I know how it feels, I looked around to find something I might like, but there was absolutely nothing that looked at all contemporary or interesting.

I hope you don't think I'm getting at you Pat but you do seem, quite understandably, to be quite down about it all. I too have spent time doing local shows where all the stallholders just moan about lack of trade and it's soul destroying. No way would I spend a day taking just £75. I just don't do those shows any more.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I really do get it Pat. It's so easy to fall into the trap of wanting to sell stuff so much that you keep the prices low.
    See it at the exhibitions we run too - where for some people it's more important that they get a sale than value their work properly.
    It takes a lot of bloody-minded determination not to drop your prices the first time someone complains the prices are "too high".
    Last edited by ps_bond; 05-08-2015 at 08:38 PM.

A constant question.......is my work over-priced/under-priced.....I have stood my ground with slight adjustments, I am certainly not the cheapest at fairs, but I also know that my weight of metal is good and my workmanship is pretty good, my work is fairly unique too,....and.....despite the constant advice of my immediate family (who all have a differing view and way to improve sales/ display/blah blah....), with the very best of intentions,.......and comments from people looking and passers by, which tend to be, that's expensive....but I can see why......plus increasing sales....I can't be that far off......*another moment of doubt*.

I have made losses at fairs, but you begin to get a feel for where your work works and where are none starters. So, as an example, I did some game fairs last year, targeted my potential audience with dog jewellery, shooting based jewellery, horse jewellery, etc......made sure that I had some lower priced stock (still all designed and made by me), but with a much smaller margin......at the first fair, by 2pm I had a small amount of my higher end work out and that covered my costs, plus a bit, a different game fair, minimal sales of anything and a loss......I won't be doing any more.....not right for my work (despite the wildlife tendency!!).......just fuel for peoples thought

I think I was lucky to have started doing shows in "the good old days" before there was so much cheap imported stuff around. Back in the day, even my regular local show turned over a 5 x stand profit.

I read a story somewhere recently about an artist selling a painting for $400 or $4000 (can`t remember but it doesn`t matter).
    Anyway, the buyer wrote a cheque out & the seller noticed that they had added an extra zero...after pointing out the error the buyer took the cheque & promptly ripped it up saying they didn`t want it in that case as It can`t be any good if it`s that cheap.

No idea if the story is authentic but it makes you wonder.