Thread: cleaning up fine castings

Default cleaning up fine castings

As a miniaturist cabinet maker I've been working for a number of years on making my own gold plated bronze ormolu mounts. To understand what I'm talking about just do an internet search on Chris Malcomson miniatures and there'll be about 4 pages of results on my work...
    Its taken me 10 years of experimentation to get to this point and a huge amount of money on equipment to cast my pieces in bronze.

The problem I have is cleaning up the castings.. Some of the pieces can be as small as 1mm and just holding them while I file away the waste is proving to be a huge problem and usually results in breakage or loss. Somebody suggested gluing them face down to some wood before cleaning them up.. I've not tried this yet but I'm immediately faced with 'what glue should I use'. Super glue would be the obvious choice but will it be difficult to remove?

If anybody has any experience of this I'd be hugely grateful for any advice...

attached is a picture of one of my miniatures.. 50mm/ 2 inches tall (not entirely sure it attached)?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 35172617e3c419d42e1ff39086603441.jpg