Thread: Do you set the diamonds yourself or send it off to a setter?

Default Do you set the diamonds yourself or send it off to a setter?

I have only learnt recently that some jewellers send their precious stones to be set by professional stone setters for insurance purposes.. Is this in the event that the stone was to break or be damaged that the stone setters insurance covers this? Does this also cover if the client was to lose the diamond out of the setting later?

I agreed to set a diamond for my friend's engagement ring but am now unsure if I should be sending this off elsewhere as I have no form of insurance cover for this situation. I'm confident in my claw and rub over setting skills but would like to find out what is common practice and what other small designer makers do?

The stone is not usually never covered if it is lost from the setting by the customer that would be up to the customer to insure, If the customer supplies the stone then a disclaimer is usually signed that its set at there own risk. You will need to speak to the setter to agree that his insurance covers the stone if he has not supplied it and possibly pay for an appraisal to check there is nothing nasty hiding in it and its not damaged etc. The money is made from selling the stone not setting it the setter would not want to risk a higher insurance premium for the cost of a setting job I would imagine.

Thanks for the reply josef1, that's clarified a few things for me. I'll get in touch with a stone setters to find out if their insurance will cover the handling of the stone but I feel what you're implying is this is very unlikely. The stone comes with a GIA so is in great condition. I still wonder if it's fine for myself to set though.. If no one else is willing to do it?

diamonds are pretty tough just take your time and I don't think you will have any issues, I have never sent a stone of any type out to be set

Thanks for the reply China and the words of encouragement! You're right. I have set sapphires and small diamonds before and never had a problem but just a friend's comment on insurance made me question my abilities and knocked my confidence. I'll take it slow and see how I get on.