Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Foredom or dremel?

Ah. I've seen that too; I need to work out if the stakes are quite large enough for my needs. But I can't buy any until I've forged the mokume billets down to sheet anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Ah. I've seen that too; I need to work out if the stakes are quite large enough for my needs. But I can't buy any until I've forged the mokume billets down to sheet anyway...
    It looks really useful but even the Durston website doesn't have any dimensions. I had to phone them about the rolling mill and the MD phoned me back from a trade fair in Germany, a really nice helpful man, wish I hadn't lost his private email address !

Well you'll need to be really well to do all that whacking Caroline! Really hope the new year brings you better health.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Well you'll need to be really well to do all that whacking Caroline! Really hope the new year brings you better health.
    Thanks Carole That would be nice. As long as I can get well enough to produce some new work before May although there is a load of stuff in a tray full of good intentions that just needs to be put together in some way so all is not lost I suppose. Hope that Christmas has gone well for you and everyone else this year

would love to be able to get the best equipment but being completely honest with you i'm on disability for a pretty severe mental health problem. I love doing silversmithing as a therapy but really don't think any of my stuff is good enough to sell, i don't have the room in my flat to use my fashion degree ( i adore sewing ) and i fell into smithing by a happy accident. We struggle to live day to day so every purchase has to be totally considered even if it's a neccesity. I'm lucky to have parents and inlaws who are prepared to support anything that helps me get well. (believe it or not even a train fare to a supplier can end up beyond reach, especially as i have agrophobia on top of everything else) This is why i am so grateful for any help or advice i can get. Just hoping beyond hope that one day my life will mean something.
    Thank you guys
    X
    Tasha
    X
    www.truffleandpodge.co.uk

LOVE LIKE YOU WANT TO BE LOVED

Tasha, I don't agree that your stuff isn't good enough to sell. Your tiaras are very sweet and there may be a local bridal shop who you could speak to.

It's amazing how many people find making jewellery therapeutic and there are lots of people on this forum who also have mental health issues, so you're in good company. Sending you every good wish for good health very soon and please keep asking for help. I've found this forum has been hugely helpful. xx

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Your tiaras are very sweet and there may be a local bridal shop who you could speak to.
    Agreed.

It's amazing how many people find making jewellery therapeutic and there are lots of people on this forum who also have mental health issues, so you're in good company.
    Remembering it's a continuum, not an absolute. It's also anything that isn't slap-bang in the middle of the bell curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Truffle & Podge View Post
    would love to be able to get the best equipment but being completely honest with you i'm on disability for a pretty severe mental health problem. I love doing silversmithing as a therapy but really don't think any of my stuff is good enough to sell, i don't have the room in my flat to use my fashion degree ( i adore sewing ) and i fell into smithing by a happy accident. We struggle to live day to day so every purchase has to be totally considered even if it's a neccesity. I'm lucky to have parents and inlaws who are prepared to support anything that helps me get well. (believe it or not even a train fare to a supplier can end up beyond reach, especially as i have agrophobia on top of everything else) This is why i am so grateful for any help or advice i can get. Just hoping beyond hope that one day my life will mean something.
    Thank you guys
    X
    I'm surprised you don't think your stuff is good enough to sell, Tasha. I would have thought that you would be doing a roaring trade in the tiaras especially as they are so different and beautifully put together. Do you have an Etsy shop yet? That might be worth exploring as a way to bring in some income.

I do hear you on the money front and whilst I agree with James on the principle of 'buy cheap, buy twice', when we're starting out we have to sometimes buy cheap and keep our fingers crossed! For the last three years every penny of profit I've made has gone back into buying tools and silver stock (when the prices plummeted!). I'm now almost fully kitted up as far as tools go, so hope to spend the next couple of years learning more and practising on the job and then maybe, maybe I'll eventually start to make enough to live (very frugally) on.