Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big, round bottoms

Thanks Silken! And apologies to Pauline - I now see what you meant. The issue really is that the stone would be set upside down (if it were a cabochon) so I was hoping for at least a small table (as with the quartz in the photo, which isn't cabochon) and it rather depends how attractive the base of the cabochon is. These are great though - I can always order a few and see how they look. I can always set them right side up at a later date if they don't work for this project.

This is the sort of thing I'm aiming for, although my setting is rather different, the overall look was inspired by this photo. Thanks again for all the great ideas.
    Glowpear
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandarin garnet ring.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	3890

No probs!

I'm liking the design which inspired you.....plus, it's a fab colour! Glad you've had a load of suggestions
    Pauline x

Quote Originally Posted by glowpear View Post
    Hi there Lilia - it is the Mineralienmesse in Hamburg, which is where I live.
    My experience in Germany is that there are shops selling gemstones at retail prices, when what you really need is gemstone dealers. Do consider going to Inhorgenta which is in Munich in February. The exhibition is huge and you will be able to stock up with unusual stones for the year. there are agents who will do a package with accommodation. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis - I will definitely try and go next year - I've heard it's fabulous and thoroughly bankruptcy inducing :-)

Hi all,
    I am not sure if anyone is really interested but I have just found a section on unusually cut stones in a reference book and the type of cut I was referring to is classified as a fancy cut and is either a flat top with step cut pavilions or a buff top with brilliant cut pavilion.
    Now I know! Thanks for all the help.
    Have a lovely weekend,
    Glowpear.