Quote Originally Posted by Alchad View Post
Thanks both for taking the time to reply - and for the concern over my mental health and the physical health of my other half. Rest assured had I gone down the soldering route I would have taken very adequate precautions. First one being using a plumbers soldering mat

Can’t post the URL, but if remotely interested check out plumbers mat on Amazon.
No.
Just.... No.
A) low melting point (200C range) solders are not suitable for jewellery repair (and I bill a lot extra when I get jobs like that because I have to remove the stuff first) and B) the temperatures required for jewellery solders are in the 800-900C range. Done with a blowtorch.

Plumbers mats aren't good at preventing heat transfer, they're more flameproof. Try using that as protection on a person and you'll be looking at charges of GBH (because they can't consent to being injured).

The ONLY ways to join something that someone is wearing is with either with a pulse-arc welder (like a PUK) or a laser welder (by which I mean jewellery scale, not Dr No). And even then it's all kinds of bad idea.