Thread: Smith Little Torch with butane

Default Smith Little Torch with butane

Hi,
    Has anyone used Smith Little Torch Oxy Gas fuelled with butane, please? I'm setting up a new workshop from scratch and trying to decide which combination of torch and fuel to get. I mostly work with gold and silver - small to medium sized jobs. As far as I know the most common combination jewellers use (for Smith Little Torch) is either propane and oxygen or acetylene and oxygen. But reading about safety regulations in the UK it looks like propane canisters can't be kept indoors. Acetylene is also not what I need I don't think as it's used for when extreme heat is needed. But how about butane? Has anyone used butane, please?
    Thank you!
    Nat

I use LPG for my Smiths little torch, normally Propane but can be a mix of Propane and Butane, essentially for Jewellery purposes Butane or Propane would be suitable.

That's very useful, thank you. With LPG do you use the propane regulators and flashback arrestors that Cooksons sell for Smith torch, or do I have to get ones designed for LPG gas? Thank you so much!
    Nat

I use an oxy generator and propane, you can use propane indoors, like a plumber does for example when fixing pipes, you just cant store it indoors.

I see, so just to make sure I understand properly - the propane gas bottle needs to be kept outside, with a pipe connection running through a workshop's wall - is that correct? And how about the oxy generator, please? I assume that the oxygen generator can be kept inside, am I correct? And is the generator loud, please? Thank you so much for your help!
    Nat
    Last edited by Nat; 15-05-2024 at 02:39 PM.

If you have under 30kg you can use it in the house then best to store it outside when you are not using it see here https://www.calor.co.uk/gas-bottles/...ited%20outside.

I have attached a little vid of the oxygen generator

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/1Ob7MgyNmJ8