Thread: Best torch for melting

Default Best torch for melting

Hi
    I’m somewhat confused by the vast array of torches. I have a dremel torch for small use but I want to use up my waste metal and have a go at casting and don’t have a clue what to get, can anyone help?

Hi Bev,
    I'm not into melting and casting, but I know that you will need a really hot torch, and which you get depends a lot on your budget, and possibly your insurer.
    Watch this space and members with first hand knowledge will advise you on that.
    In the mean time, you might like to see this video, to fill in some of the background.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfyzYW3ZKkw. Kind regards Dennis.

Hi Bev, a lot of people use a Sievert style torch. Advantages being economical to run as propane can come in larger bottles also having interchangeable nozzles available from small needle flames like a butane torch to great big fluffy flames suitable for small hand castings. Unfortunately expensive set up and commitment.

Another option is a mapp gas torch. burns a bit hotter than propane comes in a small disposable bottle. Generally used in the plumbers industry as hot and convenient to use.
    Large refillable butane torches tend not to have the grunt to heat a small crucible full of silver.

One last suggestion if really committed is maybe the industry standard for melting, smelting and small hand castings is the “Smiths Little Torch” … big commitment and responsibility running an oxygen and propane mixed set up but once up and running a far superior user experience that is very versatile and satisfying burning incredibly hot and reducing the size of flame needed.

I’m sure other members will have varied favourites and more suggestions to add to the list … good luck with it … N
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 13-05-2024 at 09:06 PM.

I agree with Nick you can't really go past the Smiths little torch, however as said is a fairly big commitment, I have a friend who uses one all the time for casting, myself I do not do hardly any casting although I melt scrap regularly, I have the advantage of a oxy/acet welding set in my shed so I can melt anything.