Thread: What On Earth?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What On Earth?

Our project at college, set last term but carried over into the holiday, was to make a piece of jewellery on the topic of the universe, which immediately translated in my mind to ’Solar System.’

So here is my simplified and not very accurate depiction to be worn as a pendant. The orbits which are made from rectangular strip, reduce in height towards the centre, so giving a terraced look. The sawn edges are unfiled to add texture.

The planets are made from various semi-precious cabochons such as spessartine, sodalite, and rubies. Our earth is made from an opal triplet and the nearby moon from balled up wire. The sun at the centre is a citrine cabochon, with a faceted pavilion. I have avoided too much detail to avoid becoming over fussy, but there is also a ring around Saturn.

The stout braided chain from Bellore can be adjusted with a slider to be worn long or short. Pulling it over your head is not ideal, but seemed the best option for a length of 72cm. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ss Sun Mercury Venus Mars Earth Moon Jupiter Saturn Uranus Neptune..jpg   ss1 Solar System Neccklace.jpg   ss2 Pendant Detail.jpg