Thread: Breakawy links

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Breakawy links

Just interested in the forum members opinion on including a breakaway link in pendant chains etc.
    Last edited by china; 23-08-2023 at 05:14 PM.

Always! Dogs, kids, door handles, in fact anything you could possibly catch on is waiting

I will occasionally wear a chain with a very sentimental and valuable ring hanging on it … no way would I want it to have a weak link that could break and lose the ring down a drain or somewhere … N

Famous last words, but I have never purposely added a breaking link.

I have made dozens of necklaces for family and friends, over a period of 25 years and have not had an accident reported, where anyone was hurt.

Very occasionally the soldering on a jump ring proved inadequate, and if at some distance away was mostly able to post a small split ring.

However when selling your work common sense would dictate including a safety feature. Dennis.

It’s not so much a safety link but a thicker unsoldered jump ring at the catch. If you’re bending over and a child grabs it or a jumping dog gets caught I’d rather not be garrotted! If it’s for special occasions one the person doesn’t expect any of the above then fine but for every day living I prefer to be on the safe side.
    There are also the rules girls/ women live by and the amount of reported thefts in the street. If someone decides to grab your necklace I’d like it just to come off without a fight or further injury. Not likely to happen in rural Fife !!

Thanks for the replies, some thing I have never done, although I was asked by a friend to install one in a chain.