Thread: Big, round bottoms

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Big, round bottoms

Would someone be able to tell me what the technical expression would be for those larger of gemstones whose pavilions are cut rounded, rather than the usual, pointy cone shape? I am looking to source some nice, round bottomed stones to go in a bowl shaped setting and I can't seem to explain myself properly.
    Thanks in advance!
    Glowpear.

I have used cabochons with pointed pavillions, but not seen the reverse. if you don't get an answer here, contact AE Ward http://www.aewgems.co.uk/. They are always ready to help. Dennis.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rounded pavilion gemstone.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	3887

Thank you both for your helpful replies. I have attached a picture (I think..) of what I mean - the profile of the line between the girdle and culet have been curved and it is the depth, or roundness, of this curve that I am having trouble expressing. It is generally only found in larger stones. Thanks Carole for your suggestion of faceted cabochons - that could be a practical solution, as long as the flat aspect is attractive enough to act as the table and that the domed aspect is deep enough.

I am looking for mandarin garnets of this cut - I saw quite a few of them at a trade fair last year and I am just kicking myself for not having bought any.

I will keep hunting.
    Thanks again!
    Glowpear

I quite like gempalace on etsy for round-bottomed microfaceted stones - you might be able to find something from them?

Hi Glowpear

I've only been faceting gems as a hobby for a number of months, but I think you might be referring to the style that is called "Rose Cut"

Google it for some pics. Apols if it isn't exactly what you meant.
    Pauline x