Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Goes Around Comes Around.

Default What Goes Around Comes Around.

Twenty or more years ago, my family came back from Indonesia sporting various flat rings bought on holiday. They were worn to death and didn’t last long, so it fell to me to make some replacements.

Now their children are rather tentatively asking for thumb rings and I have revived this flat style, following my recent trend of combining purple and blue, in this case iolite and amethyst.

I’m hoping that when the metal has darkened naturally it will take on a bit of street cred.

On the reverse I have soldered on some dividers, so that the shank can be cut through if it becomes too tight.

Size of stones: Amethyst 12x4mm. Iolites 6x3mm. Ring size: Q.
    Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tr1 Thumb Ring.jpg   Tr2 Reverse.jpg  

Thats beautiful Dennis!
    The amethyst and Iolite work really well together.
    What is the texturing around the amethyst?

Gorgeous, as ever Dennis. I like the shape, texture and colour of the ring and the dividers on the back are inspired!
    Jules

Very nice, Dennis. I like the choice of stones and the way you've set them - and yes, great idea to build in a solution for expanding knuckles. How thick is the silver of the main flat part of the shank?
    Alan

really love this - something I would be more than happy to wear (another one curious as to the texture too!)

I quite often make an open ring shank. If you sell at craft fairs you can guarantee that someone will love a ring but it will be the wrong size, also hands do tend to get bigger when hot.

They're great Dennis, and I like the original design of them.

However... come on then, spill the beans on how the texturing was done as we're all curious

Nick

Thank you all for your kind comments and questions. My textures are made by rolling with fabric remnants from my overstuffed concertina file, in this case see-through curtain material.

It is wrapped right round the sheet and fed through the mill fold first. This prints both sides and leaves the sheet flat. Also you get to choose which side to use. If the fabric is creased it is given a quick iron first.

The silver sheet and round wire for the border were both 0.7mm thick. The wire was given a light hammered texture after soldering. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tr3 Textures.jpg  

Beautiful Dennis. But tell me, why are they called flat rings?