Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Jangle Of Bangles.

Default A Jangle Of Bangles.

Over the years I have made few cuffs, lots of articulated bracelets, some bangles with a joint, but never just a rigid bangle. So I thought it was time this was remedied. Just to show my commitment, I bought a bangle sizer from Walshes, an enormous heap of metal.

All through the year, there have been agonised pleas for help from beginners, unable to solder large wire circles and I had viewed this with some scepticism. So I was quite surprised at how much heat was required to raise the temperature sufficiently to make even easy solder flow.

The silver wire chosen was 3x2.0mm round, made hexagonal by drawing it through a triangular drawplate until there were six sides. So as to match the ends for soldering I tied the circles to a perforated board with hairpins of binding wire, and built up an improvised kiln. Even so, it took two hand-held torches to heat the rings sufficiently.

The charms in the first picture are an initial D, made from a large jump ring, a heart pressed out with my hydraulic press from a non-conforming die, and a glass bead containing silver foil

Having finished one I went straight on to make another for a different candidate, with different charms: a heart shaped padlock, but no mechanism, a key that fits and turns in it, with no chance to try it, and an initial E.

They are a bit of a cliché, but I think the first is more shopping mall and the second has a more crafty feel. What do you think? Dennis.

I think they're both lovely Dennis and not at all shopping mall. I do really love the padlock one though.

I love them. I agree with Carole, they are not 'shopping mall' at all. I love the padlock too!

I agree too, they're beautiful. Although I did need to go and watch the Bonny Doon video on the non-conforming die process.
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

They're both gorgeous Dennis. I'd be happy to have either!

Sonia
    x

love that padlock and key Dennis! really clean looking finish too.

Default The Mystery Of The Die Exposed.

Thank you, I know that some of you need to make and sell as much work as you can during the next month, so despite the doom and gloom, I hope the year will end well for you.

In reply, here is the gear for pressing out the heart in two halves:
    A cut-out in brass, superglued to Perspex to add height, some neoprene rubber and my metal blocks to avoid over-extension of the jack and save on pumping. Dennis.

They are gorgeous! I especially love to heart one- wouldn't mind that for myself!

lovely bangles. can I ask where you got the padlock?

Shock/horror Liz, everything except the glass bead was made by me, from the drawn down wire to the textured sheet. As it's my hobby, that's the whole point of it really. Dennis.