Thread: Selling Silver articles in Europe, Hallmarking in China

Default Selling Silver articles in Europe, Hallmarking in China

Hello everyone, I am new on this forum. I am searching some information to understand if it is possible producing and Hallmarking silver articles in China before shipping to Europe? Do European Countries accept an extra - EU Hallmarking? I red in this forum that France has a different legislation.
    Thank you

No system of independent assay in China. Some items produced there can enter europe while others will fail -nickel , lead etc
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Thank you Pearlescence. So the best should be to apply the Hallmark and the sponsor Mark in UK. Do you know if there is any issue for articles entering the UK custom without stamping? Or Chinese vendor can provide a declaration of material and fineness stating that articles will be stamped before go tho the shelf?
    Thanks

You can do what you want with precious metal in the UK. It is only in selling it that assay is required. And I know from years of practical experience that yes, you can bring in as much unmarked metal as you want (but you will have to declare it and pay duty and VAT via customs and the red channel and a particularly obscure form) Customs are not concerned with fineness, only value - they want their 20%. I've never known them even look at the items let alone query 9 or 14ct for example. But I did have a coil of silver wire confiscated in Dubai once from my carry on as I could have strangled the pilot. I didn't argue a lot because of the many strands of pearls also in the bag.....
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

The question asked did not invite a copy and paste from another site about Chinese marking convention. I've already asked you to introduce yourself properly and stop posting zero-content messages; you've not heeded the warning. This ban is temporary - carry on in the same vein and it'll be permanent.

Hi. I'm not a hallmarking expert..but certain points leap out from your post:
    1 you can't hallmark yourself. Hallmarking is the end result of the process of assaying - checking the precious metal is of the specified standard. It is illegal in the UK to sell precious metal without assay if the item is over specified weights.
    2 Does your silver comply with European Union law on content, such as nickel or lead content. If it does not it cannot be sold in any EU country.
    3 In london we work in £ GBP pounds sterling, not euros
    4 When your items enter the EU via any member state you will have to pay tax and duty. If you enter via the UK the tax is VAT at 20% and there will be duty to pay as your items are finished jewellery. You have to declare your items at the border (red channel) if bringing them in person, or on the package if shipping. Items will be held by customs until all is paid
    5 At the moment once goods are in the EU they may circulate freely around other member states without any customs or other barriers, but once the UK leaves the EU duty and tax will once more be liable every time they travel.
    6 There are strict laws on selling over the internet in the EU, if this is part of your business plan.
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk