Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help for beginner

Default Help for beginner

Hello everyone!

Could anyone please help me with a question that's been bugging me for a while? I'm a complete beginner but have a particular interest in Viking-type jewellery which often seems to have some kind of bonding (?) between wires to hold the shape typically black in colour like this example:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	200-p.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	9623

Is it some kind of resin or glue or solder even? Any advice/help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

I'd expect it to be soldered, then either deliberately oxidised (with liver of sulphur, Platinol or similar) or allowed to tarnish and the high spots polished back.

Looks to me like it may just be painted

Yes you can make that in the flat and then bend it around a ring mandrel.
    There is something to be said for both answers above, because some members use a waterproof pen for adding black in grooves or letters.
    However, if painted, why bother to do the inside? Dennis.

Good point, just looks like it is painted from the pic

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    ... However, if painted, why bother to do the inside? Dennis.
    For the dark Viking atmospheric photo?

First of all, thank you very much for the replies! Can I just ask, if it's solder isn't that too big of a gap to fill? Or is that down to type of solder/technique? Please excuse my ignorance!
    Cheers

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisH View Post
    First of all, thank you very much for the replies! Can I just ask, if it's solder isn't that too big of a gap to fill? Or is that down to type of solder/technique? Please excuse my ignorance!
    Cheers
    the metal touching, ideally, will be tight (except for intended openings). Using some clamps, or wire will help it stay together. The gaps you see are where the metal curves as it is a wire based form. As this is essentially two large rings inside each other, they should fit snugly enough and will have been sized to do just that.

Ah great, thanks! I'll try to give that a go!

Quote Originally Posted by KrisH View Post
    Cheers
    Yes you might well be right. The space does seem quite large. The original might have been cast after carving from wax, or milled from sheet, but as Wallace says, you can simulate the effect by soldering wires together, provided they touch. Dennis