Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snake In The Grass

Default Snake In The Grass

A year ago I was asked to make a pink tourmaline necklace for someone I don’t know very well, so I gave her my photo albums to browse.

She liked some leaves I had used before, made from rectangular wire, so the pendant has five of those, surrounding the 10mm cabochon. Two more leaf shapes were used to finish off the adjustment chain, with a small acorn set cab between them.

I did warn her that the main snake chain could kink if a loop of it were accidentally squeezed together. Even so, my first job of 2013 was to replace it. A tour of Hatton Garden showed that 1.40 mm gauge to fit my bail and chain ends was no longer available loose, but luckily I found a made up one to cannibalise.

How do you cope with the tribulations of snake,? Is it worth the hassle? Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pt Pink Tourmaline Necklace.jpg  

I do tend to avoid snake - I find it a bugger to solder the ends on and it does seem to always kink.

But it looks so pretty!

I always use made up snake chains as they do look nice and they don't tangle like other styles. I also find people prefer them. I've never really bothered to make them up myself as the ones I use from Cooksons are quite good quality.

I'm not a huge fan of snakes, both the reptilian and chain variety! They are so temperamental to work with, mainly when soldering.

That said, I was just given a pretty amazing demonstration of laser welding by a lovely man from Sutton Tools at the Spring Fair. If I could afford the three and a half grand for the welder, assembling those little slippery chains would be fun instead of mind numbingly frustrating. Otherwise, I stay away from them unless I buy them ready made.

Lovely necklace by the way, Dennis!

After the soldering performance I had last week with the chain breaking about 4 or 5 times, I will be avoiding making up snake chains in the future !!!!!!! will buy them in future. Trouble was I was asked for a 24 inch chain and couldnt find one already made up.

Well, as I make my own snake ends out of tube, I'm quite happy to fix in the chain with Devcon 5 Minute Epoxy. I've never had one come apart in use and if there is occasion to change it, you can get it out again with very gentle heat from a mini-torch.

This time I had run out of my standard loose chain though and so had every one else. Dennis.

Sorry being thick here, how do you fit the clasp onto tube.

Default Making a Snake End.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Sorry being thick here, how do you fit the clasp onto tube.
    Here is a picture of a snake end before soldering Pat. The tube size is chosen, cut, and pinched at one end with round pliers to close it. the jump ring is soldered with a little too much solder and then positioned in contact. when you heat both parts together, the solder melts again and connects the two.

My fasteners are usually hooks of some kind (see above), which become so stiff in the making they don't need soldering closed. Hope that explains it, regards, Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sb Making A Snake End.jpg  

I bought the ends and they soldered on ok, but the chain close to the ends broke. That looks a much more robust end too, you glue it on rather than solder, is that a better idea than soldering. Thanks for the pic, I will have a go at that, what would I do without you guys showing me how.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I love this piece Dennis. I especially like the many ways in which you can visualise the pendant. From one point of view it looks like a five-point star, another it looks like a flower and then close up you see the leaves and beautifully set stone.

Oh, to spend some time in your workshop would be a treat for anyone.